Access Problems — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Access Problems

Options
disabledkenny
disabledkenny Community member Posts: 53 Courageous

In my Community there is lack of dropped curbs in Chadderton, Oldham the few that are legal are only in or just off Middleton Road & most of them are on the actual junction not 10 meters away like they are supposed to be, the rest are illegal or in state of repair & very dangerous to people using prams, wheelchair users, people with walking difficulties & sensory impaired people.

What is illegal dropped curb? Illegal dropped curbs are the ones that are on or too near the junction they are supposed to be at least 10 meters from the junction.
Also if the pink bubbled effect is not there that is illegal as for the sensory impaired people.
Dropped curbs should be 1200mm wide with 1:12 max gradient.

Also, why is no council official enforcing the law regarding public access to all buildings open to the public & accessible facilities in all public services such as dentists, shops, restaurants, public houses, etc for people with prams, wheelchair users, people with walking difficulties & sensory impairment?

I tried contacting all local & national media & no one besides InYourArea https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/feed/OL90EN/Chadderton,Chadd
I have also set up Oldham Access Forum Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OldhamAccessForum/
which deals with such issues as well as access to buildings open to the public that legally are required to be accessible to prams, wheelchairs, people with walking difficulties & sensory impaired people, these include public shops, cafés, restaurants & public houses, etc.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Those of us needing dropped kerbs easy acess to buildings ect could write a book on all the areas that need attention throughout the UK.  Some building can not have easy acess because they are a listed building but I have seen some banks that have overcome this by having a side acess with automatic doors which does not  show their apearance when looking at the front of the building. As for the width and slope of the dropped kerb that is a new one on me and will be bring this to the attention of my local council regarding the angle of the slope of one particular kerb. Since becoming a mobility scooter user I have noticed door bells on some cafe doors for people like me. 
  • disabledkenny
    disabledkenny Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    I agree Wilko in 1995 I started helping out with Lancaster Access Forum when the government wanted help with forming the access white paper, we also advised the access & planning officer with Lancaster Council, in Morecambe & Lancaster everywhere is totally accessible including dropped curbs so why can't Oldham Council, I ask many years ago where the access & planning office is & they said a what!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.