Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Medical intervention in adulthood

lucyscoobslucyscoobs Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi there, I was hoping to get some advice on medical intervention for cp in adulthood.
I'm 25 and was diagnosed with cp when I was 3. I had quite a bit of medical input as a child but as soon as I turned 16 I've had nothing. I was discharged from physio, my speciallis and any investigationI I was having at the time stopped.
I carried on as normal, plodded along and did my best and struggled my way through the past 9 years with help from only family. 
It wasn't until last year when they completely stopped my disability benefit that I realized that this is crazy. I had no evidence to support my struggles and I was penalised massively for this. I was being told that what I was claiming was a lie and my daily pain was non existent. 
I realised then that my pride had not just scuppered me for any financial help but for medical help too. I pretend I'm "normal" but in actual fact, I'm in pain ALL of the time and I'm getting more exhausted as time goes by.
I'm hoping that someone has been in a similar situation as mine but has accessed help. Where do I start? Something has to give but I'm sure there's something out there for me? Any advice would be so much appreciated. TIA.


  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,090 Scope community team
    Thanks for your post and the warmest of welcomes! If I have read your post correctly you have CP and are not receiving any benefit, such as PIP? The first thing I would do is make a PIP claim (you should have been assessed and moved on to this automatically). You can do this as you have been diagnosed with CP. I would see your G.P. and ask for a physiotherapy referral. Be prepared referrals can take a while. You can also be referred to a neurologist.
    I am interested to hear more so I can provide as much help to you as possible. By the way, you are 'normal':smile:

    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy
  • lucyscoobslucyscoobs Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @Richard_Scope
    Thank you so much for your reply.
    I received DLA up until last year but didn't qualify for Pip. I'm currently going through the appeals process which is going pretty horribly really. I have nothing to back my claim up and can't access any medical evidence. The whole process has made me feel more disabled than I ever have.
    I will definitely do what you have suggested although I doubt it will help for my pip appeal as it's being heard end of January. Regardless it will be great to maybe manage my pain so thank you 😊
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,090 Scope community team
    Hi again @lucyscoobs
    As you received a diagnosis you G.P. can and should provide you with all of the medical evidence. We have lots of information on PIP also we have a helpline on 0808 800 3333 my colleagues on the helpline have lots of PIP knowledge. Stay in touch.

    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy
Sign in or join us to comment.