Finances and extra costs
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

I have been on SSDI for years, if i inherit some money -can i keep it or will it be taken?

nonnaswaynonnasway Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2019 in Finances and extra costs
I have been on SSDI for years n I want to know if I inherit money will I get to keep the money or will SSDI take it from me?

Replies

• nonnaswaynonnasway Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have been on SSDI for years n I want to know if I inherit money will I get to keep the money or will SSDI take it from me?
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,897 Disability Gamechanger
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    @mikehughescq It comes up as "social security disability insurance" on Google.
  • mendipmarkmendipmark Member Posts: 22 Listener
    Under uk law it depends how much you get. Under about 16k you keep. Ovet and you may be subject to a reduction or stoppage until you hit 16k so keep everything in a seperate account. It will affect housing and council tax unless you serve a notice that you intend to spend it on a house or a share of a house. If this is the case you need cab benefits advice. It gives you 6 months to find and start buying the house. Ive done this and your council will need advice on this as they have poor trained staff. Be prepared for a fight
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,897 Disability Gamechanger
    I do not know what SSDI is in the context of the UK social security system. It doesn’t sound like the OP is claiming benefits in the UK. SSDI is an American thing. If they were in the UK then the treatment of capital would depend on whether those benefits were means-tested or not. What can definitely be said is that no-one will “take the money” in the UK system.
  • mendipmarkmendipmark Member Posts: 22 Listener
    I did inherit 7 years ago. The uk doesnt take however tries to withdraw some benefits until it reduces to the right level. We used the law to protect my inheritance from the council. Hence what I said. The effect is the same. Americans should not be helped by Scope really.
    We don’t know that the OP is American. We just know that SSDI is most likely a reference to the US system.

As regards UK benefits you are referring only to means-tested benefits paid by local authorities and they have varying upper and lower capital limits as well as differing treatment of capital between the two dependent upon age. There are different rules again for social security benefits paid by DWP and Tax Credits paid by HMRC and in the case of the former capital has no impact on either contributory or disability benefits. 
Sign in or join us to comment.