Is there anyone here on Universal Credit and Self Employed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there anyone here on Universal Credit and Self Employed?

Options
chockies
chockies Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
edited January 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi Everyone ??

Does anyone have any advice about what it is like to be self employed and on Universal Credit?

I found out today that Universal Credit replaces Working Tax Credit so if I went back to work payments may be a lot different as a self employed person?

I read something about having to earn more and income floor, but do not understand it at all.

I’m not sure that I would ever be able to be self employed again.

I am sorry I meant to post this in Universal Credit category, I posted in the wrong category.

Chockies.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chockies, I'm no expert on UC by any means but Citizens Advice have some helpful information on their website:

Your Universal Credit payment will change each month depending on your earnings and other circumstances. How much you get also depends on whether you're in a couple or have children.

You won't be able to find out exactly how much Universal Credit you could get each month. If you want to get a rough idea, you can use the entitledto benefits calculator.

When the DWP work out your Universal Credit payment each month, they'll compare your real earnings with how much they expect you to earn each month - this expected amount is called your 'minimum income floor'. The DWP take this into account when working out your Universal Credit payment.

The minimum income floor doesn't apply to everyone. If it doesn't apply to you, your payments will be based on what you actually earn through self-employment.

• chockies
    chockies Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Options
    Hello and thank you @Pippa_Scope ?.

I finally understand the minimum income floor, the wording does not make sense to me on the government website.

I wonder why they do not give an amount anymore?

I know everyone’s income is different but that has always been the case.

I will check out the calculator, it gives me a bit of hope to think I might be able to go back to work this year.

Chockies.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.