Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Caring for my daughter but our money has been stopped

SystemSystem Posts: 470 Scope community team
edited January 2019 in Carer's allowance
This discussion was created from comments split from: Carers.

Replies

• maisiemaymaisiemay Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi. I gave up work to care for my daughter a few years ago. She has M/E and other conditions. 
    Shes now 20 and attends the local university. Im her carer . Her pip has been stopped and my carers money too. I cant work as i care for her. She needs help reminding take pills , anxieties when she not with me etc, im on end phone and can get to her if not with her easily. Any advice please? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

She's need to request a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) for the PIP. Put this is writing stating what she disagrees with and where she thinks she should have scored those points and her reasons why. Putting 2-3 examples of what happened that last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies. Sending evidence to support the claim with the letter. She has 1 month from the date of the decision to do this.

Most MR decisions remain the same so it's highly likely that she'll need to take it to Tribunal.

For your carers allowance, what other benefits were you claiming besides this? Possibly Income Support?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear this @maisiemay. How are you doing?

We have some brilliant experienced members here on the community who'll be happy to advise if you're comfortable sharing more. Or, if you'd rather speak to somebody on the phone, Action For ME have a great welfare advice and support service. Do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.
    Thank you for messaging me. 
    I have rung them as said we arent happy about the decision and want a mandatory decision. Theyve logged this but my daughter got to write to them to give consent for me to deal with it and act on her behalf even though im her carer. 
    Panicking as time up is 17th Jan. she suffers bad anxiety so struggles talking on phone. 
    Then weve got fill form out which is on gov. Uk website and wait for decision? 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,522 Disability Gamechanger
    Being her carer doesn't mean you can act on her behalf when it comes to claiming benefits.   Usually someone becomes someone appointee if they don't have the capacity to look after their finances and deal with their own claim for benefits.

When requesting the MR you need to state which descriptors apply to her and your reasons why you think they apply. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time she attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies.

Face to face advice from you local advice centre is the way forward with this. See this link. https://advicelocal.uk/

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Ah I just assumed because I was her carer and anxiety talking on phone etc is very high that I could do it.Many thanks 
Sign in or join us to comment.