Business help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Business help

ChelleM
ChelleM Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
Hi everyone, I don’t really know if this is the right place but I’m just looking for some advice really. I’ve written on here before but I’ve always wanted to set up my own business that’ll raise awareness of and support people with cerebral palsy/mental health issues. It would be a dream come true but I don’t have any idea how to put all my ideas together. Could anybody offer me any help or put me in touch with someone who can? Thanks so much in advance.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ChelleM   Pleased to meet you welcome.  I have set up my own business a long time ago. I do understand and hope I can help.

Did this for ten years or more. Folded due to mental health issues.

I do think first thing you need to do is a business plan.

This is a your idea and everything you need to do around your business .  Remember try to think also that the costs and outgoings are to cover not only your business but home and anything else. Your car and family.

Add to that take into consideration a idea of budgets.  Not only costs and over heads but things like tax and pension, life insurance, liability insurance. VAT and other additional expenses. You might incur.

Another one to add may I suggest is the market place is your idea viable . Who is the competition the market leader. Do some research.

I would advise this because this the big problem with setting up a business.  They will ask you. Any business advisor.

One best bit of advice is to speak to your County Council they can and do offer business advisors.

Sit down with them and think what you need to ask.

There often the people to ask for funding and advice.

Always here anytime for further advice  and wish you a lot of success.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ChelleM
    Hi @thespiceman, thanks so much for all your advice! It means a lot :) 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ChelleM Thank you for reply.  One thing forgot to mention.

To give you an glimpse insight how a business mind works. Watch Dragons Den tonight. On B.B.C. 2.

This is will make you understand what is needed and what prospective people who have the funding would like in a business.

I think also learn from your mistakes. Also just because something sounds good and looks good does not mean it is.

Especially with contracts, legalities and anything else always go over anything, seek help and advice. On anything like that.  Also make sure you have a good accountant.  As well.

Always going to be people out there want you to fail.  Make money out of you. Be aware.

There will be trips and falls, hurdles to over come but you are determined then you will succeed.

On the journey .

I am here anytime to listen ask me anything.

Glad to do so.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ChelleM
    Yeah I love Dragons Den, so interesting! Thanks again! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.