Why are we treated this way? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why are we treated this way?

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
Jus t  because we are disabled. why are we poor and have to fight to get our health care needs?
Are we worth nothing to the government and our cultures?

Perhaps someone can explain this. Is iot because we are not producing income?

/

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @cracker. I don't think it's something anybody here on our community could explain, but that's because we all have lived experience of disability and know that we're worth so much more than the way others may see us.

It may only be a drop in the ocean, but you're among friends here!
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    That’s a big question, WHY, many of us have worked all our lives before being made disabled or unable to continue working due to an accident or illness. Then there are those of us born with a disability or health problem that has and never allowed us to work yet we still have a right to health care and benefits from the welfare state, then there are those whom are unable to work because of the job, work availablility in the area they live and there are those who choose to not work and take drugs, drink ect,  we feel neglected, left out ignored or even forgotten but the truth is all the other groups mentioned sometimes in their day, week or live feel the same way. Live is what we make it, before I was disabled I was in full time employment for forty plus years the same job and employer. But now two years later I have aceppected my new lifestyle and have learnt that I can no longer do things around the house, garden and the car. I was active in my church ministry but unable to stand or walk far I am happy sat in a pew. Bit like those with money and us with little we all have to fight for our rights. We may be at an advantage having time on our side to source information and take action on it.
  • cracker
    cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Thanks for answering. I think "forgotten" is true. I can no longer participate in what I used to do with my friends or in the work place, and people go on with their lives, of course.

I hope that I never treat anyone that way.  All of us here are very sensitive and kind because of the experience of disability.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.