If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Gateway Condition January 16 2019 ESA claimants who receive Severe Disability Premium

teejays1617teejays1617 Posts: 92Member Courageous
The Rt Hon Amber Rudd promised that disabled people receiving SDP would not be forced
on to Universal Credit until Transitional protection is in place but Revenues and Customs
state that its 50/50 whether or not this new Gateway condition will happen at all
Please give your vital comments on this subject

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 10,311Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 14
    I posted about this 2 hours ago on the ESA part of the forum.It's official and the link to the legislation is here. Happy days for everyone waiting for this! :)

• teejays1617teejays1617 Posts: 92Member Courageous
    Hi Poppy ,
                     Thankyou for the valuable link.Please can you tell me Poppy
    can I put a claim in for Housing Benefit after the 16th?
    You're welcome. Yes you will be able to put a claim in on Thursday.
    edited January 14
    Actually you'll be able to put a claim in on the 16th Jan... taken from the above link.
    Restriction on claims for universal credit by persons entitled to a severe disability premium

4A.  No claim may be made for universal credit on or after 16th January 2019 by a single claimant who, or joint claimants either of whom—

(a)is, or has been within the past month, entitled to an award of an existing benefit that includes a severe disability premium; and

(b)in a case where the award ended during that month, has continued to satisfy the conditions for eligibility for a severe disability premium.”

If they refuse your claim then you should give them a copy of this legislation and proof of your SDP award.
  • Government_needs_reformGovernment_needs_reform Posts: 708Member Pioneering
    I posted about this 2 hours ago on the ESA part of the forum.It's official and the link to the legislation is here. Happy days for everyone waiting for this! :)

Hi If everyone cared to look as I posted this all up at lunch time https://community.scope.org.uk/discussion/54531/must-read-restriction-on-claims-for-universal-credit-by-persons-entitled-to-a-severe-disability-prem you will find all the answers there.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

"This must not be allowed to happen"

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has published a contract notice announcing its plans for a £3.1billion revamp of heath checks for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and other benefits.

PIP is not ESA or even UC, having one assessment for those benefits is morally wrong to treat them as ONE size fits all with that one assessment.

Latest update 9th May 2019

DWP confirms single assessment plans, despite Tomlinson confusion

The government has confirmed that it is pushing ahead with plans to test how it might be able to merge two disability benefit assessments into one, despite comments from a minister that appeared to suggest that no such plans were being discussed.

But DWP has now made it clear to Disability News Service that testing of a single assessment will be going ahead.

Thanks, i posted the link here earlier because i didn't see your thread in the other part of the forum.
    Thanks, i posted the link here earlier because i didn't see your thread in the other part of the forum.
    Oh @poppy123456 it's been up all afternoon hahaha😂 hope you had a nice Xmas and New Year Hun. I've not been really with it myself... 
    😢 been doing a little campaigning over UC and othe disability issues for a few days but worn me out..

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) has published a contract notice announcing its plans for a £3.1billion revamp of heath checks for Personal Independence Payments (PIP) and other benefits.

PIP is not ESA or even UC, having one assessment for those benefits is morally wrong to treat them as ONE size fits all with that one assessment.

The government has confirmed that it is pushing ahead with plans to test how it might be able to merge two disability benefit assessments into one, despite comments from a minister that appeared to suggest that no such plans were being discussed.

But DWP has now made it clear to Disability News Service that testing of a single assessment will be going ahead.

@Government_needs_reform ah, i don't always look over on that part of the forum. Had i seen it then i wouldn't have posted the link here lol. Oh well, it's here now for others to see B)

It was quiet, which is how i like it. Hope yours was good too? I'm sure there's a lot of people going to be very happy with this legislation, i know i am. It means that i can finally look for a new home and widen my search, so there's more choice.

Take some time for yourself now and put your feet up, you've earned a rest :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @poppy123456 you know me I like a little banter and is no malice meant as you know. I don't matter if it been posted before, I'm not bothered⭐️ 

As for Xmas New year I really can't remember much about it. It was peacful let's say, glad yours was 🆗 too.

Yes this is good news about SDP will be good for a great many people, but in truth it's still not enough. UC is a killer and many more will surely suffer that's why I'm hoping this Government gets kicked out before it's to late.

But for now this SDP legislation will help..

I will carry on bashing the Government over this and I won't give them a moments peace either.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

I have been posting on this for months n months
    Indeed you have but until now there was no legislation, so it didn't exist.  Now there is you can claim housing benefit anytime from Wednesday.
    @Government_needs_reform of course i know it's banter :D always good to see your posts.

Yup, i agree about UC but for now i'll take this little good news.

Take care now!
    @Government_needs_reform of course i know it's banter :D always good to see your posts.

Yup, i agree about UC but for now i'll take this little good news.

Take care now!
    God bless you @[email protected] ❤️

@apollo14lmp Yes this is true, I only post up the facts. Be rest assured about this SDP legislation.

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Thank you ..... :)
    Your most welcome @apollo14lmp 👍🏻

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

My local council are refusing to backdate my claim for Housing Benefit on their grounds they state " there has been no continuous good cause to backdate my claim " sufficient for me to say that I am not afraid to go to a court or a tribunal hearing were I will say I HAVE got continuous good cause to backdate the claim 
    based on the fact that if I had gone over to Universal Credit I would have lost over £400 of my SDP and EHP benefit and this would have more seriously impacted
    on my finances and daily living and have an even more serious impact on my health.
    The TRUTH is the councils want to blame us in this matter and if they can't blame us they will blame DWP which is the ROOT CAUSE of these problems with the government
    FEEL FREE TO COMMENT
    The orchestrator of the Universal Credit no other than Iain Duncan Smith not only
    designed a new benefit to replace 5 or 6 current benefits but DID HE TELL THE PUBLIC THAT the benefits he was replacing with Universal Credit would also be 
    TOTALLY ABOLISHED AND DESTROYED FOR EVER. I'm shocked he has got away with it.He has thrown many many thousands into utter poverty .I hope 
    Labour and many other politicians see that Universal Credit should be scrapped.
    Sign the MIRROR petition today Please Sign the Mirror's petition in the link below
    https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-stop-the-rollout-of-universal-credit-and-replace-it-with-a-fairer-system
    I even heard that Iain Duncan Smith was paid a mighty sum of money to speak on COMPASSION at a conference in CANADA. If that is so what a sham
    He knows nothing about compassion at all
    I know many people that voted conservative but they won't vote conservative
    again
    PLEASE FEEL FREE TO GIVE YOUR COMMENTS
    Hi Apollo and fellow bloggers and readers.
    I submitted an appeal to my local council regarding backdating my housing benefit
    Awarded in March 2018 and revoked a few weeks later because I refused to go over to Universal Credit. Why did I refuse ? because I would have lost my SDP
    and Enhanced Disability Premium worth nearly £400 @ month.
    The new Gateway condition which came into force on the 16/01/2019 has thankfully allowed disabled people like myself to claim housing benefit.
    Thankfully members like yourself APOLLO recommended trying for an ANYTIME
    REVISION ON MY HOUSING BENEFIT with my local council.
    I haven't heard anything back from my council yet except to say I did receive
    the first reply before my appeal saying "I have not shown any continuous
    good cause" why they should backdate my claim.
    I have definitely said "I have shown definite good cause.
    Please fellow readers ,feel free to make comments regarding this

edited January 31
     Why did I refuse ? because I would have lost my SDP

You wouldn't have been worse off to quite that extent had you moved across to UC. These figures show a person over 25 claiming ESA Support Group against a person over 25 claiming LCWRA for UC, without the SDP.

Personal Allowance aged 25+ £73.10
    Support Group Component £37.65
    Enhanced Disability Premium £16.40
    Total £127.15 a week = £552.50 per calendar month.

Universal Credit
    Personal Allowance aged 25+ £317.82
    Limited Capability for Work and Work-Related Activity amount £328.32
    Total £646.14 per calendar month. Under 25 £580 PCM.

SDP is £64.30 per week. So worked out monthly as follows £64.30 x 52 = £3,343.60 divided by 12 because UC is paid monthly... £278.63 per month single person amount.

ESA Support Group monthly figure for those claiming SDP is £831.13

£831.13 - £646.14 is £184.99 per month (over 25). £251.13 (under 25)

So if you're over 25 moving to UC LCWRA from ESA support group for those that were receiving the SDP you will have been £184.99 per month worse off.

If you're under 25 then you will have been £251.13 per month worse off.
    Poppy and fellow readers
               As you state under legacy benefits with SDP = £831.13
    but TURN TO US CHARITY figures show Universal Credit = £636 without any
    Transitional protection but nevertheless the government said ( THIS TORY
    GOVERNMENT SAID ) no one would be worse off under Universal Credit but
    the figures above prove a loss of nearly £2,400 a year,not to mention the 
    DESTRUCTION of the old legacy benefits.
    The truth is thousands of people like myself have been plunged into dire poverty
    Over the last year being forced to pay full rent I have lost over £4,000
    Had to go to loan sharks and foodbanks 
    I totally understand what you're saying and i agree with you. However, i've said this before and i'll say it again. If i had a change of circumstances in the past by moving house to a full UC area and i had a choice of either claiming UC and losing the SDP (£184 per month) plus housing element  or not claiming UC and staying on ESA and paying my own rent then this will have left me even worse off, than i would have been if i had claimed UC. Because i would have had to pay my own rent and this would have been more than losing the SDP alone.

For me, it would have been no contest and i would have had to have claimed UC because there's no way i could have paid £500 PCM rent. I don't know why you would leave yourself even more worse off by not moving across. This is what i don't understand, sorry.

I do wish you all good luck in being paid all your back dated HB though!
    edited January 31
    @apollo14lmp i remembered that you claimed SDP as a couple so for you and your partner then i totally understand your reasons for not claiming UC. It's too much to lose as a couple.
    I really do hope you're successful with this. Please do keep us updated and anyone else claiming backdated HB too.
    I'm at my wits end because my local authority have said " the ANYTIME REVISION ON MY HOUSING BENEFIT ref backdated rent paid over £4000
    could be rejected ,so fellow readers please tell me What is the best way forward?
    I don't mind going to a tribunal or do I try and find some legal experts to prosecute DWP or the council ?
    PLEASE SOMEONE ON HERE TRY AND HELP ME
    I cannot afford to pay solicitors yet I believe the council and the DWP have acted
    unlawful and Discriminatory towards me a Disabled person
    I think expert advice is needed here. However, if your housing benefit is more than the £184 per month figure i quoted above then they could argue with you that you intentionally made yourself financially worse off. This is why i'm advising you get expert advice. I'd start with welfare rights or a law centre. This link will tell you if any of those are available in your area.

Good luck.
    Poppy ,thankyou for your great advice just received on the blog.
    Looks like I will have to seek expert advice .I will use the link you have kindly given. Can't quite see how  I made myself intentionally worse off. Its just I stuck to my guns in not losing my SDP and EHP . If you are calculating how Universal Credit would have paid my rent £340 @ month as against me losing SDP  and EHP  then Yes there is a marginal difference but now the government has put 
    Transitional Protection in place ,the government has corrected the flaw in people
    who went on to Universal Credit and lost SDP  BUT i THINK THERE IS LOADS MORE TO THIS ISSUE
    Personally the Universal Credit was not just designed to put a number of benefits under one roof so to speak but THIS GOVERNMENT DID NOT DECLARE IT WAS ABOLISHING CERTAIN BENEFITS ALTOGETHER.
    A DESTRUCTION OF A BIG PART OF THE WELFARE BENEFIT SYSTEM.
    I have since discovered that new claims on PIP will not be allowed to go beyond
    65 but if a person is already on PIP then a person can stay on PIP after 65
    but for how long ? is anyone's guess.
    Also the Universal Credit agreement makes everyone including all Disabled
    people sign a Declaration that they will actively look for work or they may not receive Universal Credit payments if they don't sign
    Poppy and fellow readers 
    Friends have helped me work out the true figures of SDP and EDP and the weekly income from these two benefits is £80.70 @ week 
    My weekly rent is £80.30
    But If I  have to go to a Tribunal regarding trying to get my backdated rent back 
    I will have to fight on the grounds that Universal Credit Benefit would have made me a lot worse off than being in the Support group on ESA  ,hence why I wouldn't be forced to go over to Universal Credit.
    There is also a marked difference between the two benefits  ESA and Universal Credit .Universal Credit forces Disabled people and Severely Disabled people
    to actively sign a statement to say they will actively not only look for work but take work were as ESA in the Support group does not make this demand 
    Sign the Mirror's petition to get rid of Universal Credit
    https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-stop-the-rollout-of-universal-credit-and-replace-it-with-a-fairer-system
    I really do understand what you're saying and agree with some parts of it.

You keep saying you would have lost both the premiums if you had moved to UC, this isn't actually correct (see my above calculations) someone claiming ESA in the Support Group without the SDP would be claiming less that someone claiming LCWRA for UC.

The amount you would have lost is £184 per month because you were claiming SDP. As your rent is £340 per month then this means by not moving to UC you were worse off by an even larger amount because you had to pay your rent for the whole time. So by not moving across you made yourself even more worse off by £156 per month. This is why i said if i was in your shoes then there's no way i could have afforded to pay my own rent, so i would have chosen the UC route for these reasons.

Your comment about PIP and age. PIP has always had this age limit for new claimants, just the same as DLA did. DLA rules were also the same, if you claimed before the age of 65 then you could continue past the age of 65, if you qualified. The only difference with DLA and PIP is for PIP they'll continue to re-assess you past the age of 65 but for DLA they didn't.  The reason for the age limit for both benefits is because they are working age benefits.
    I respect your comments .I think with me Its the principle that the government acknowledged the fact that people like myself if moved to Universal Credit
    would in the first instance be worse off by as you say £184 @ month.
    Hence the fact the government can see the flaw in the Universal Credit system 
    trying to destroy the SDP and EDP Benefits. Thank goodness Transitional Protection will be in place to stop anyone losing vital benefit money.
    But I still dont think its right to see certain benefits abolished and destroyed for ever.
    Can anyone tell me the equivalent rate on Universal Credit for someone
    receiving ESA in the support group?
    Greatly appreciate as many feedbacks as possible
    Many thanks 
     Why did I refuse ? because I would have lost my SDP

You wouldn't have been worse off to quite that extent had you moved across to UC. These figures show a person over 25 claiming ESA Support Group against a person over 25 claiming LCWRA for UC, without the SDP.

Personal Allowance aged 25+ £73.10
    Support Group Component £37.65
    Enhanced Disability Premium £16.40
    Total £127.15 a week = £552.50 per calendar month.

Universal Credit
    Personal Allowance aged 25+ £317.82
    Limited Capability for Work and Work-Related Activity amount £328.32
    Total £646.14 per calendar month. Under 25 £580 PCM.

SDP is £64.30 per week. So worked out monthly as follows £64.30 x 52 = £3,343.60 divided by 12 because UC is paid monthly... £278.63 per month single person amount.

ESA Support Group monthly figure for those claiming SDP is £831.13

£831.13 - £646.14 is £184.99 per month (over 25). £251.13 (under 25)

So if you're over 25 moving to UC LCWRA from ESA support group for those that were receiving the SDP you will have been £184.99 per month worse off.

If you're under 25 then you will have been £251.13 per month worse off.
    As quoted here. ESA Support Group without SDP. £552.50 per month.

UC equivalent (LCWRA) £646.14 per month.

So those claiming LCWRA for UC will receive more per month than those claiming Support Group ESA.

SDP figures in the quote above. If someone moved to ESA before the new rules came out last month they would have been £184.99 per month worse off.
    edited February 3
    Hi Apollo and fellow readers ,
                                                   I had an email from a similar person to ourselves
    and their local  council did allow a backdated refund on rent that they had paid
    The refund was over £5,000
    Our local council's don't want bad publicity so I feel you and I and others will be
    offered a partial refund. The council's won't want lots of cases going to Tribunals
    Hi Apollo and fellow readers,
                                                  Any good news yet on backdating your housing benefit claims because of SDP and us refusing Universal Credit because we did not want to lose our SDP and Enhanced Disability Benefit.
    Please fellow readers and Apollo let us know ?
    Hi Apollo and fellow readers. My local council (Redditch Borough Council) are refusing to backdate my claim on my Housing Benefit ,so all my papers will go to a Tribunal . The council said " It had to obey current legislation and because I didn't fall
    into one of the exempt categories I have no hope " Well let the judge at the Tribunal decide because I think it is serious discrimination against Disabled people
    Please  let me know your thoughts
    Have you requested the MR first? This is the first step to an appeal. Good luck.
    Please tell me POPPY what is an MR?
    mandatory reconsideration, 
    Well Poppy I have appealed against the council's decision not to backdate my Housing Benefit claim but the council said" it will go to a tribunal "
    The council have asked me on what GROUNDS do I feel I can appeal against their decision
    I have said" on the grounds that DISCRIMINATION is evident but they are saying
    the government made the exempt regulations and it is DWP or a government department that is to blame ,not the council
    I have asked PRO BONO at the ROYAL COURTS OF JUSTICE IF i HAVE A CASE AGAINST  DWP
    The first stage to an appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration, in other words it's where you ask them to look at the decision again.  Without this a Tribunal won't accept your request.

My honest opinion is that the reason you couldn't claim housing benefit was because the government changed the benefits to Universal Credit and your house moved meant you couldn't start a new claim for housing benefit at that time.  I honestly don't think that it's your local council that are to blame here, as they were only sticking to the regulations at the time.
    Poppy and fellow readers,
                                              Can I ask a question? Does anyone know if a son who is unemployed and on ESA  and lives with their mother who owns her own home.
    Is the son allowed to claim Universal Credit whilst living under her roof
    Please anyone tell me ?
    edited February 10
    Poppy and fellow readers,
                                              Can I ask a question? Does anyone know if a son who is unemployed and on ESA  and lives with their mother who owns her own home.
    Is the son allowed to claim Universal Credit whilst living under her roof
    Please anyone tell me ?
    Yes, the mother's earnings/benefits will have no affect on the UC claim. Only living with a partner is counted. If he's claiming ESA why does he want to claim UC? :o
    Hi Poppy ,
                     I  thought he would have to claim Universal Credit if he moves from one county to another. I don't think he could stay on ESA or can he ?
    Hi Poppy ,
                     I  thought he would have to claim Universal Credit if he moves from one county to another. I don't think he could stay on ESA or can he ?
    Hi,

That will depend on circumstances. Does he need to claim help with his rent when he moves? Does he claim PIP or DLA so receives SDP as he lives with his mother then she would also need to be claiming a qualifying disability benefit for him to claiming SDP.

I would need more information to be able to help properly.
    No he doesn't receive PIP OR DLA and no SDP 
    Probably rent free from his mom
    If he doesn't need to claim any housing for the rent then moving house will not be classed as a change of circumstances to prompt a move to UC, it will just be a simple change of address.

If he needs to claiming housing for the rent then it's a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC.
    Thanks Poppy for all your much appreciated help
    Just a word about my own situation. I have requested an MR with my local council
    I did it by email.Do you think that is ok? or should I send in a typed letter to the council. Also upon signing for my tenancy last March ,the tenancy signing officer
    promised to get urgent repairs done but 12 months later nothing has been done.
    Because I suffer with Proximal diabetes and the neuropathic problems mean I cannot feel the floor I have tripped on the awful un level floor between the hall floor and bathroom floor. I have asked the Citizens Advice Bureau to look into this.
    Surely it wasn't fair to charge me full rent for a place in such an awful state 
    No problem. Yes, i would put it in writing as well.

As for the rent, you signed the tenancy agreement, agreeing to the rent payments etc. Have you contacted your housing association about the floor?
    Hi Poppy and fellow readers,
                                                  I'm  renting off my local council but they haven't
    done anything to my floor since I signed the tenancy 
    You need to contact the repairs department of your housing association and report it.
    For over 12 months I have asked my landlord Redditch Borough Council to come and fix 2 problem areas we existed at the start of my tenancy . The floor problem  .
    Two windows which would not lock .The rear soffit at the back of the property.
    They have not done anything in over 12 months .I am really at my wits end 
Sign in or join us to comment.