National Insurance contribution for State Pension ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Insurance contribution for State Pension ?

saukot100
saukot100 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in Work and employment
Hi. I am 35 yr old diagnoised and treated for a rare type of Cancer a year ago. I have recently started claiming basic PIP. I have recently also taken up part -time employment locally that pays some of my bills. My question is how much and if I should contribute to NI for last one year when I was unemployed. I have 3 years of NI contribution historically but last year as I had no earnings I did not pay NI. To qualify for new state pension in future do I need to pay £14.65 a week as voluntary class 3 contribution ? that is a ridiculous amount for the year. Any advice will be highely appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @saukot100, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I'm afraid I'm not sure of the answer to this myself, but we have some really knowledgeable community members who will hopefully be in touch soon and able to advise.

I wonder if @Gill_Scope could offer any guidance here?
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @saukot100

Check your National Insurance record to find out:

• if you have any gaps
    • if you’re eligible to pay voluntary contributions
    • how much it will cost

You may also be eligible for National Insurance credits if you claim benefits because you can’t work, are unemployed or caring for someone full time.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You need 35 qualifying years of NI to get the full new state pension. Check your NI record in the link above and it will tell you how many more years you need and how many years you already have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.