Shower toilet problem - Can you help please? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Shower toilet problem - Can you help please?

April
April Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
Does anyone have a shower toilet and can answer a question for me please. My daughter has a Clos-o-mat toilet, which is excellent. It has been serviced for the last 4 years at the expense of the local authority (they paid for a contract for 4 years) but now it's our responsibility to get it serviced. The problem is, it costs nearly £200 a year for that. That's a lot of money to find when you are also paying to service other equipment. 
So what I would like to know is, how do other people service their shower toilet? Do you just pay a plumber? Can the average plumber do this though? Or do you forget the service, and just get it fixed as and when?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @April
    Sorry you havent had any response to this yet, Ill try sharing to see if we can get any answers.

@Jean_Scope do you have any ideas?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Thanks to Sam_Scope for inviting me to join this conversation.

I don't have first hand experience of this issue but I am an OT, which is presumably why Sam was hoping I might be able to add something.

In truth there are many people that go without regular servicing on all sorts of disability equipment because they simply can't afford it. Depending on the nature of any potential fault the toilet develops a local trades person might be able to fix it but their intervention may well jeopardise any relationship you have with the original company.

If people aren't in a position to keep all their service contracts going I would urge them to prioritize those that they consider most essential to their safety, health and independence.

Sorry I haven't been able to give you a more helpful answer.

Best Wishes

Jean     

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• Mark2121_21
    Mark2121_21 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Please ring citizens advice..I'm sure sanitation is a priority situation..
    Having a low income will aid a quick response
  • April
    Thanks to Sam_Scope for inviting me to join this conversation.

I don't have first hand experience of this issue but I am an OT, which is presumably why Sam was hoping I might be able to add something.

In truth there are many people that go without regular servicing on all sorts of disability equipment because they simply can't afford it. Depending on the nature of any potential fault the toilet develops a local trades person might be able to fix it but their intervention may well jeopardise any relationship you have with the original company.

If people aren't in a position to keep all their service contracts going I would urge them to prioritize those that they consider most essential to their safety, health and independence.

Sorry I haven't been able to give you a more helpful answer.

Best Wishes

Jean     
    Thank you Jean
  • April
    Please ring citizens advice..I'm sure sanitation is a priority situation..
    Having a low income will aid a quick response
    Thank you Mark
  • denise1967
    denise1967 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    was there any answer to the discussion as i have the same issue
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @denise1967! Is there anything I can help you with? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.