Feeling Like A Freak. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling Like A Freak.

Options
FeatherMask
FeatherMask Community member Posts: 8 Connected
I have had JME for years. Along with that I have dealt with odd looks from strangers, people asking me not to take my medication in public, etc. But it's gotten to the point where it's starting to really effect me again. I've started having myoclonic seizures again. I don't know know how to handle people mocking me, or laughing at how odd it looks. I leave social interactions feeling completely defeated. It doesn't help that I can't do a lot of things that people can do everyday. I don't want to be feeling like an absolute freak forever. What makes things worse is I have to change from sodium valporate to a new medication which will result in me having full blown seizures. I don't think I can deal with it all again. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• luckylot
    luckylot Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Ignore the other peolpe . And taje your medication . They are just jealous. They are only laughing at themselfs.don t let them ruin your life 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @FeatherMask
    Are we are talking about Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy ?  I am sorry to hear that you have felt judged for this, that must be really difficult. 

As you know, it is important to stay on medications as prescribed by your doctor but I do understand how frustrating this can be when you feel that it will affect you physically and socially.

Epilepsy Action have a helpline on 0800 800 5050 and I wondered if it would help you to speak to someone who understands and who couls possibly offer you some support and suggestions?

Whatever you do, know that you arent a 'freak' and I am so sorry that you have been made to feel like this.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.