Education and learning
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Issues with school and mental health

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
edited January 2019 in Education and learning
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, my name is isabellarose!.

Replies

• isabellaroseisabellarose Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi my sons skl are speaking with our gp & agreeing to arrange councilling but are then not doing anything they also said they did emergency referral to Chams but that was lies aswell what do I do 
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this @isabellarose, I hope some of our community members will be able to advise. I wonder if there's anything @Geoark can suggest? 
  • bcp268bcp268 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Are you able to find a contact number or email address for Chams ? If so I would contact them directly , stating the name of your Gp , school ect . 
    Let them know your concerns and that the GP have agreed referral is imminent . It’s a disgrace the amount of chasing up we have to do on our own , but we are easily ignored as the are not directly affected. Keep at them and never take there word for it unless you have it on heading paper !! 
    Good luck 
  • GeoarkGeoark Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,296 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @isabellarose and welcome to the community. Sorry for the late reply I have been away this week on training with very limited internet access.

Just a quick question, when you say the school had requested an emergency request to CAMHS but were lying, did they let you know they had not or is this based on not hearing from them yet? I ask because it can take a while for an appointment to come through, although guidance suggests you should have heard within a couple of weeks, based on the type of referral you mentioned.

First of all there should be local support for you through your local Information Advice and Support Services. You can find details of your local service at https://councilfordisabledchildren.org.uk/information-advice-and-support-services-network/find-your-local-ias-service we used the predecessor for this - parent partnership - and found it useful in the early stages.

Referral to CAMHS is usually through a professional working with the child or young person, ie school or doctor.  So you could ask your doctor to refer your child. Some areas do allow for self referral by young people or their parents but you would need to check if your local services is one of these.

With regards to the school making accomodation for your child's needs if this is not being done I would suggest you look into requesting an Education Care Health Plan - ECHP You can find out more details by looking this up in your local council website.

If you continue to get no  where I would recommend contacting IPSEA https://www.ipsea.org.uk the site has a lot of useful information that you might find helpful, but also a helpline that you can use to discuss your child and their needs and they will advise you on  your rights and what to do.

I hope this helps.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @bcp268 and @Geoark, great suggestions from you both!
  • Emma_ScopeEmma_Scope Navigate Posts: 51 Courageous
    Hi @isabellarose

I hope you've been able to move forward with this and the school have been able to put more support in place for your child. An Educational and Health Care Plan (EHCP) is one step forward but there are also interventions that the school can put in place to promote well-being without the need for this, using the current school budget for SEN. You may have already but the school Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and the Head of Year are potentially good contact to have. A meeting with them to discuss your concerns and find out what else they can put in place may be a good step forward, and would be good practice for the school to arrange. If you have tried this and feel you're not being listened to then you can put your concerns in writing to the Head teacher and request appropriate reasonable adjustments to be made for your child. When a formal request is made in writing, the school then have a duty respond in a set amount of time. Here are some links that explain reasonable adjustments that may be helpful.

https://www.goodschoolsguide.co.uk/special-educational-needs/legal/adjustments-for-sen

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/sites/default/files/reasonable_adjustments_for_disabled_pupils_1.pdf - this is guidance for school and Local Authority (LA) staff but seems to explain things well.

Also have you looked online to find your 'Local Offer' website for your LA? This should provide information on support in your area.

Hope this helps and best wishes.
    Emma Bailey
    Parent Advisor
    Navigate Team at Scope
Sign in or join us to comment.