I should have been receiving SDP for several years — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I should have been receiving SDP for several years

Options
Waylay
Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
Just put in a request for backdating worth almost 8,000GBP.

Severe Disability Premium Eligibility

1. You get either:
   - Income-related ESA, or

2. You get one of:
    - PIP daily living component
    - AFIP
    - DLA care component at the middle or highest rate
    - Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)

3. Nobody gets Carer's Allowance of the carer's element of UC for looking after you

4. You count as living alone:
This is straightforward if you're the only person in your household. However, certain people can be disregarded from your "household", and therefore you can still count as living alone with a house full of people.

Disregard the following:

- anybody under 18

- anybody aged 18 to 19 who is a 'qualifying young person' (still in non-advanced education)

- anybody who also gets a qualifying benefit (Attendance Allowance - either rate, Disability Living Allowance - middle or high rate care, Personal Independence Payment - daily living component or Armed Forces Independence Payment)

- anybody who is registered as severely sight impaired or blind

- a boarder or subtenant (but not a close relative) who pays you on a commercial basis
- a landlord (but not a close relative) who you pay on a commercial basis
- a co-owner of the property (but not a close relative)
- in a shared house/flat, anybody who makes separate rent payments to the landlord (but not a close relative

There are other situations in which someone is disregarded but these are the most common one

There are separate rules for couples.

It's complicated, so do your research or get some help. The thing that applies to me is that I've been living in a shared house for 1.5 years, and before that with a landlord.
Landlord: Not related to me, and I was paying commercial rent (with a tenancy agreement).
Shared house: None of my housemates are related to me, and they all have separate tenancy agreements with our landlord.

The DWP is supposed to figure this out and send you a letter about SDP, but they often don't. Could this be you?

SDP is ~64/week!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.