Im disabled and is so hard to prove it — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Im disabled and is so hard to prove it

Verajp
Verajp Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Ive been in dla  since 2003 and in 2017 had to apply for pip. Im short in higth was born with a short leg and the other leg the bones aint rigth so causes severe pain. And back pain. And in they point of view i can do every thing . Docters cant do any thing been opporated once and got worse. I find it hard to explai  my problem my difficulties. Do t know were i can get help from 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,914 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm assuming you were refused PIP? Did you request the Mandatory Reconsideration then Tribunal if that failed?

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You can be disabled but not qualify for PIP because you don't fit the descriptors. If the descriptors don't apply to you then you won't score any points and there won't be an award.

When filling out the PIP form you need to put as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Giving 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for all descriptors that apply to you. Sending in relevant evidence to support your claim, with the form.

It's extremely difficult to give advice on an internet forum because no one knows how your conditions affect you.

Welfare rights or a law centre would be a good place to start, if you have those in your area. Check here to see what's available.https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, for people migrating from DLA to PIP it is difficult for the person claiming to fully grasp the different criteria used in the acessment process, disability and abilities. Having to prove give, show supporting evidence as to why you are unable to preform the PIP descriptors is has to be your man focus when applying for PIP and attending your acessment. Bringing, sending evidence of your disability, diagnosis and medications is fine but not having the reasons, causes and evidence as to why you are unable to do preform the descriptors will leave the acessor in the opinion that you can do manage most of if not all of the time.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    Hello and welcome, for people migrating from DLA to PIP it is difficult for the person claiming to fully grasp the different criteria used in the acessment process, disability and abilities. Having to prove give, show supporting evidence as to why you are unable to preform the PIP descriptors is has to be your man focus when applying for PIP and attending your acessment. Bringing, sending evidence of your disability, diagnosis and medications is fine but not having the reasons, causes and evidence as to why you are unable to do preform the descriptors will leave the acessor in the opinion that you can do manage most of if not all of the time.
    Isn't that the problem that many claimants have including the OP?
    Evidence to support the self opiniated view as to why the descriptors apply.

It's fine if it is said to be the case put forward by the claimant and it will not be challenged - 'would I lie to you my friend' as Arthur Daley would have said in selling an old banger but described 'as new'.

Even now that I have professional welfare rights support he could not answer my question - what evidence do you need from me to be able to prove what I say as regards the impact on my life? All I have been told is that if I say it and there is no evidence to substantiate that I am telling a load of porkies, it has to be believed?

Really??
  • telscope
    telscope Community member Posts: 37 Connected
    Hi, 
    I have Epilepsy & I admit it is not easy to prove it to other members of the public until I have a seizure in front of their eyes, but if they are not aware of my disability they think I am drunk.
    I have had seizures in stores & when I regain consciousness I have had the police around me, waiting to ask me questions.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hi @Verajp, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us. When you say you find it difficult to explain your condition to others, do you mean in terms of benefits or just regarding other people and how they see your disability? Do let us know and hopefully we can find some resources to help you :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.