Have bipolar, can't work but am managing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have bipolar, can't work but am managing

gorpie
gorpie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, 

I have bipolar and haven't had any serious episodes for a while now. I'm on medication and have been doing okay on them.

Every time in the past that I have tried to be in work has led to an episode which has led me to leave the job. I still feel like I would not be able to get back to work and it would make me get unwell again.

During normal day to day life, I only need occasional rest days when things are too much but when I am unwell I need almost constant care and support. Episodes usually last somewhere between 1 and 3 months.

I'm fortunate to have a husband who earns enough to cover our expenses but with 2 kids it can be difficult to make ends meet sometimes.

I applied once for DLA a long time ago but was rejected despite letters from my GP and didn't have enough strength to fight the decision. I knew fighting it probably would have made me worse despite probably being the right thing to do.

Is there any chance I may be eligible for PIP? Am I likely to be rejected and have to fight it? What other experiences do people have with a similar condition and situation as me?

Thanks,
gorpie.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. You really can't compare 2 people when claiming PIP and it would be impossible to advise you as to whether you would be awarded.

You can complete this self test http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php but it helps to have some understanding of the descriptors and what they mean.

You'll need to send relevant evidence to support your claim and a face to face assessment will most likely be needed as most people have them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gorpie
    Thanks

How do they treat people that are not affected all the time by their condition? Most of the time I'm okay but when I'm not, I'm really not and need lots of support from family and husband.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're ok most of the time then you may have problems qualifying. For PIP you must need help at least 50% of the time in a 12 month period. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/757816/PIP-handbook.pdf

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gorpie
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @gorpie, glad to see you've had some guidance from our other members. If you do decide to apply, please do keep us updated and we'll advise where we can.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.