Severe mental impairment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe mental impairment

Grace7
Grace7 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi, I have a long standing diagnosis of Schizophrenia. I am detained under the mental health act on a community based treatment order. This means I have to get depot injections and let professionals in to my house to see me or else I get recalled to hospital. 

I live in on my own so get a 25% reduction in my Council tax bill. I have looked into further Council tax exemptions and read about the severe mental impairment one which means you don't need to pay any Council tax. Some websites say this applies to people with significant learning disabilities, Parkinson's and dementia etc, but I've also read it can include severe and chronic mental health conditions. I'm not sure if it would include me and can't get a fuller definition. Does any one know anything about this? 

Thank you 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,033 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

To claim this you must be claiming either one of these.
    • Disability Living Allowance with the middle or highest rate care component,
    • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component (standard or enhanced rate),
    • Attendance Allowance,
    • Severe Disablement Allowance,
    • Employment and Support Allowance,
    • Incapacity Benefit,
    • Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance with a disability premium,
    • Working Tax Credit with the disability element.
    To claim it you need to be medically certified as being severely mentally impaired and you'll need a Doctors diagnosis. A registered medical practitioner must have diagnosed a condition causing severe mental impairment.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.