Moving from DLA to PIP .... Backdated Money??? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from DLA to PIP .... Backdated Money???

mark636297
mark636297 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi

I have been in receipt of low rate care and mobility dla for about 10 years due to b.p.d.

At the beginning of July 2018 my illness got drastically worse and my Doctor advised me to try and claim more money for d.l.a.

On the 29th Jan I had my pip assessment so the decision will likely be at the end of February. That's 8 months.

If I am granted pip and let's say get an extra £30. Will I get backdated the money (£240) from the time I made the initial claim as my condition was and still is a lot worse??

I can't get a straight answer anywhere.

Please could anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• MatthewD1985
    MatthewD1985 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    I should imagine that you will be paid DLA up until the day before it changes to PIP, your first PIP payment should include PIP from the date you made claim as long it is accepted of course. If you have still been receiving DLA during this time they will just work out the difference between your prev DLA rate and your new PIP rate and if you are entitled to more on PIP they will pay it back in your first PIP payment. They usually backdate any claim to the date they received the claim from you. I'm not sure if they would deduct if you were entitled to less on PIP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    That's not the correct advice i'm afraid.

When transferring from DLA to PIP there's no backdated money, even if the PIP award is higher than the DLA award was. Your DLA will continue for 4 weeks after the PIP decision, then your PIP will start approximately 3-4 weeks after that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.