My payment has been reduced — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My payment has been reduced

Options
jayned68
jayned68 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi. I'm new here! I have a couple of questions
Firstly I won my PIP claim and have been awarded the enhanced mobility rate instead of the standard rate i  was on. The award letter says I've been awarded it from Feb 2018 but I've not had backdated payment!

Secondly I've been on ESA since moving from DLA a couple of years ago. I'm in the support group as there's no way I can work. 
I had extra money
a. for being severely disabled 
b. Disability income guarantee.
But since my partner and I bought a house together these payments have stopped...I don't understand why as my condition has worsened...so I'm  still disabled! This has reduced my money by £320 a month and we're really struggling
Any help would be appreciated as I'm not really getting anywhere with the ESA people.
Thanks and sorry it's so long :smile:

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @jayned68

Welcome to the community. :)

Thank you for sharing this with us, our members may be able to answer your questions soon.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    Regarding the PIP claim, were you transferred from DLA or was it a review for an existing PIP award?

You wouldn't have moved from ESA to DLA because they're completely different benefits. Were you claiming Incapacity benefit before ESA?

Does your partner work? when you were claiming the extra money in your ESA were you living with your partner or alone?

Sorry for all the questions but more information is needed to be able to help you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jayned68
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for answering 
    I was transferred to PIP from DLA a few years ago.  Was on high rate mobility and care DLA but they reduced them both to standard when moved to PIP. it took me 2 years to appeal and I'm now high rate mobility but still standard care
    Yes I was on incapacity benefit before ESA.. have been on disability for 18 years.
    Yes my partner works. And yes I was living on my own when I had the extra money Does it stop yhen if you move in with your partner? Seems a little unfair :(

I'm on contribution ESA  because I worked for 14years before becoming disabled. 
    We're just really struggling at the mo. The house we bought is a bigger house because I'm in a wheelchair and I can't be cold because of my condition but we cant afford to heat it! Just wondered if I was entitled to a bit more money
    Thanks x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,

This is what i thought. The reason you were claiming more money when you lived alone is because you were claiming an Income related top up on your contributions based ESA. You were also also claiming the severe disability premium on top of your ESA because you lived alone.

When your partner came to live with you because he works then his income will affect any income related top up you're entitled to because it's a means tested benefit and you claim this as a couple. Your partners earnings will reduce your ESA Income related to zero.

As you're claiming Contributions based then you keep this part and income/savings or capital doesn't affect it.

Unfortunately, with means tested benefits there's an amount the law say you need to live on and you exceed this amount because your partner works.

As for any other benefits you maybe entitled to that will depend on circumstances. If you're partner isn't already claiming tax credits then unfortunately a new claim for this isn't possible because all areas are a full Universal credit area. If you claim this then your ESA Contributions based will be deducted from the UC £1 for £1. It will also depend on your partners income.

You own your own home so help with the mortgage isn't possible because you don't qualify for this.

You maybe eligible for the warm home discount, which is £140 per year off your electric bill but to claim this will depend on the criteria of your energy company. I also believe that you maybe too late to claim this for this year, if you are then applications start again later this year for next year.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jayned68
    Options
    Thank you Poppy.
    It's what I thought.
    I can't understand not being entitled to a disability premium  just because I've moved in with my partner...im no less disabled! Well done government.

I'll have a look at the warm home discount
    Thanks again x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No problem. It's nothing to do with being less disabled. It's because the disability premiums are paid with Income related ESA and not contributions based. As your partner works then you're not entitled to any income related on top of your ESA.

Also to claim the severe disability premium, you need to live alone or be classed as living alone.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.