Discriptors — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discriptors

Options
Cazann
Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
Hi. I am awaiting my new PIP tribunal date and have been going through all my paperwork. In particular, the discriptors that I feel I should get. In the Daily Living, Preparing food: B. I need to use an aid for opening, jars, bottles etc, as I have HNPP and have palsies in my hands. Also, E: I need assistance to Peel, cut up veg, to prepare a simple meal and to help me carry the pans to the hob.
What I wanted to know is, I told the assessor at my f2f that I cook a meal about 3 or 4 times a week and the other days I go to my daughters, or have a take away. Would I be awarded any points for that discriptor?
Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,206 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You can't score points twice in the same descriptor. If assistance is needed then you have to give reasons why this is needed, what would happen if you didn't have assistance and why you can't reasonably use an aid.  Points will always be scored for using an aid if they think you can reasonably do so, rather than needing assistance.

You need to give 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

You also said you can cook a meal 3-4 times a week, this could go against you. Going to your daughters or having a take away won't score you any points in this descriptor.

How many points were you awarded after the decision was made? Do you have an award?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cazann
    Options

Yes I realised that you can only score once per descriptor (sorry about my previous spelling) but I wondered which one I should have scored on. I thought that I should have got 4 points for needing assistance.

I cannot open bottles, jars and ring pulls. I haven't got the strength in my hands and when I try, I get sharp pains up my arms. I have two gadgets that I use but sometimes I can't even use those. I have to ask my husband to do it.
    Also, regarding cooking the meal, my husband peels the veg and chops them up. He then carries the pans over to the hob. He also cuts up any meats etc. If I try to do this, I havent the strength and my hand slips and I catch my fingers. I can make a cup of tea but cannot carry to the table, as my hand  shakes and I lose the feeling and it falls from my grip. I just wouldn't be able to cook a meal without his assistance.

I scored 2 points on my PIP claim for using aids but nothing for needing assistance in cooking a meal. Would I have to cook a meal every day, every week to qualify?

Thank you Poppy for the advice.
    Much appreciated.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Did you explain the reasons why you need assistance? Did you give 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted to prepare a meal without assistance?

I don't know what you mean by "would i have to cook a meal every day to qualify" for PIP it's 50% of the time over a 12 month period.

As explained in my post above. If they think that you can reasonably use an aid then you'll score points for using the aid, which you did. To score points for needing assistance you have to prove that it's not safe for an aid to be used.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cazann
    Options
    Did you explain the reasons why you need assistance? Did you give 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted to prepare a meal without assistance?

I don't know what you mean by "would i have to cook a meal every day to qualify" for PIP it's 50% of the time over a 12 month period.

As explained in my post above. If they think that you can reasonably use an aid then you'll score points for using the aid, which you did. To score points for needing assistance you have to prove that it's not safe for an aid to be used.
    Hi Poppy
    Thank you for your advice and please excuse my ignorance but I have found this descriptor confusing. I think that I understand now about not being able to use an aid,safely when cooking a meal. And cooking a meal, with my husbands assistance 4 times per week should be enough to score the points on this descriptor?.
    Thanks again.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, It's not as easy as that i'm afraid. As i previously explained you won't score points for needing assistance if they think you can reasonably use an aid.

You have to explain why you can't use an aid and give 2 -3 examples of what happened that last time you attempted that activity using an aid.

Saying that "sometimes" you can't use the aids to open bottles and you have to ask your husband will not score you points for needing assistance. What about peeling/chopping veg, are you able to do that or do you use a perching stool?

Are you relying on scoring 2 extra points here for an award? or is there other descriptors that you could possibly score points in? If you're relying on 2 extra points for this then it's very risky.

Are you getting face to face advice and help from an advice centre near you? If not then i'd advise you to do this.
  • Cazann
    Options
    No, It's not as easy as that i'm afraid. As i previously explained you won't score points for needing assistance if they think you can reasonably use an aid.

You have to explain why you can't use an aid and give 2 -3 examples of what happened that last time you attempted that activity using an aid.

Saying that "sometimes" you can't use the aids to open bottles and you have to ask your husband will not score you points for needing assistance. What about peeling/chopping veg, are you able to do that or do you use a perching stool?

Are you relying on scoring 2 extra points here for an award? or is there other descriptors that you could possibly score points in? If you're relying on 2 extra points for this then it's very risky.

Are you getting face to face advice and help from an advice centre near you? If not then i'd advise you to do this.

My problem is, my hands are weak, fingers are numb and often very painful, due to having HNPP.. I also have osteoarthritis in my knees, ankles and back. I find using aids very frustrating as I can be trying to open jars and bottles for ages and then have to ask my husband to do it.
    When I'm cooking a meal from scratch, my husband has to peel and chop the veg, cut up the meat and carry the pans to the hob. when I try to peel and cook the veg I can't put any pressure on my hands, or grip the veg, let alone peel them. In the past I have lost my grip on the pans and dropped them. Also I have to sit on a dining chair, in between the cooking process. I put all this on my PIP claim and told the assessor at my FtoF but they only gave me 2 points for using an aid.. I also got 2 points for using aids (3 hand rails) to get into the bath/shower. Also I got no points for not being able to dress my top half, ie: fasten, unfasten buttons, clips etc.due to my numb fingers.
    I have been to CAB  and asked thier advice and they went through all my papers and said that I had a good case. I appealed at MR with no joy, so now I'm waiting for another tribunal date. I was due to go last week but they postponed it due to not having enough up to date medical evidence and they wanted to send for my old DLA papers from 14 years ago.
    I will try to get more face to face advice but the CAB are overwhelmed with claims.

Thanks again Poppy xx
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Good luck with your Tribunal, i hope you're not waiting much longer.
  • Cazann
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. You have been very helpful. xx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.