ESA Tribunal Paper Based Hearings — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Tribunal Paper Based Hearings

minnie26
minnie26 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi Everyone -I’m new here and wanted some advice on tribunals .
I opted for the oral hearing and just received the date (second one because they cancelled the first hearing the day before ) My ESA was stopped December 2017 and  I was in the support group before this.  I have experience of a tribunal through my application for PIP and it was absolutely horrendous -a 2 hour grilling for nothing that I then reapplied for with the help of Macmillan and got Standard PIP .
So I’m thinking I really don’t want to go and I wondered whether anyone here has experience of paper based hearings . I have been so unwell with the stress of it all that I really don’t care anymore -I would rather lose than attend .
Many thanks for reading 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A Tribunal will always prefer you to appear in person for the hearing because they want to hear from you in your own words how your conditions affect you. They can't do this with a paper based decision.

71% of those that appear in person have a decision in their favour, compared with a figure as low as 8% for paper based decisions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • minnie26
    Hi , 
    thanks  for your reply and I did think this but I find it so hard to talk about all the things the cancer has done to my body . They made me feel like a criminal last time and although they found me extra points for PIP , it was still 2 points short and I hate to think I will go through the same again . 
    However , these stats mean I must get myself ready for battle !
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    The figures for paper based decisions are pretty bad, I highly suggest you go.

When I won my last DLA appeal hearing, it was purely on the basis of my vocal evidence provided at the hearing.
  • minnie26
    Thank you for your reply .  
    My health has really suffered this past year and this really takes its toll but I will psyche myself up and go to the hearing and hope they don’t postpone again . 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @minnie26

Good Evening it’s great to meet you today ???

I’m very very sorry to hear about your current problems ?

Are you able to take a friend or family member along on the day of the tribunal❓

Please please let me know if there’s anything that I can help/support you with?

@steve51
  • minnie26
    Thank you steve51

My dad has offered to come with me but I will feel embarrassed discussing some of my intimate disabilities in front of him so I might have to go on my own although that might go against me .

I will see how stressed I am nearer the time and then decide but from the advice here I really must go in person   ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.