Council want to charge me for making home accessible — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council want to charge me for making home accessible

ljk
ljk Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello
I am hoping you may be able to help me please?  I have been offered a council bungalow as I am disabled.  The bungalow is great but the parking isn’t directly outside the property.  I made an enquiry to the local council about dropping the kerb so I can drive onto the front of the bungalow but they wanted £60 before they would come out and look.  I haven’t yet accepted the bungalow as I need to know I will be able to get in and out of it.  Do I have any rights with being disabled to ask them to do it please?  I don't have enough money to pay for it myself..
Thank you

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ljk Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, help and advise new members.

I am unsure of an answer to your question.  I know there will be members of our community may know.

One suggestion is to speak to CAB about this. I am sure they may help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • ljk
    Thank you very much.  
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @ljk

Please do keep us updated.
  • ljk
    I think w3 are going to have to refuse it.  W3 had a drive round to it again today and the parking situation is terrible.  There are camper vans, transits and care all over the place.  So staying put is the lesser on 2 evils.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.