Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Strange letter

cfl123cfl123 Member Posts: 5 Listener
hi,

hope someone can help. Had a letter from carers through today as I care for my daughter aged 9. It says they need to check benefit claim details. And it goes on about I must provide 35 hours of care etc.

i told them this already. Does anyone know what this means?

ita just oddly worded.

thank you 

Replies

• cfl123cfl123 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    We are worried they’re trying to get out of paying. Hopefully it’s just standard.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,542 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's difficult to advise without knowing exactly what the letter days. It's correct you need to give 35 hours of care minimum each week. Do you work, if so how many hours per week?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    No I don’t work at all, that’s what was so strange. Will phone them Monday. They did phone up and ask if I worked last week so don’t know if connected 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 18,542 Disability Gamechanger
    Maybe someone has reported you? Yes, you'll need to ring them to find out as that's the only way you'll know. Good luck.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Do you think someone could report us before a claim even starts? Hope not.
    Everything’s been agreed with DWP for DLA etc. That does sound worrying.
    If it's a new claim then they're most likely making sure. I didn't know it was a new claim because you didn't mention that.

I'm really only guessing here so please ring them on Monday. It can take 8-12 weeks for payments to start. If you're claiming any other benefits as well like Income support or universal credit then the carers allowance will be deducted from that.
Sign in or join us to comment.