Disabled student struggling with where to start thinking about work practicalities — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled student struggling with where to start thinking about work practicalities

Options
DylanEvans
DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
edited February 2019 in Work and employment
Hi all,

I hope this is the best place for this. I'm currently in my last semester at university. I've decided to take some time out after uni to focus on my health and developing my 'adulting' skills, but obviously the need to find work after that is on my mind. I'm not all that worried about finding work as, frankly, I will have quite an employable degree and a decent CV, but the practicalities are really troubling me.

The thing that's most concerning is accommodation. I'm a wheelchair user so need accessible housing, which is obviously fairly hard to come by. I'm struggling to see how I can accept a job away from my current home without knowing I have somewhere to live, but also how I can enter into the lengthy process of getting accommodation without knowing I have a job to go to. I have similar concerns about arranging PA support and the like. I had to find accommodation and PA support at very short notice for an internship this summer and it was barely doable, and not sustainable long-term. My local social services tried their best but ultimately couldn't help with finding accommodation or a care agency.

I'm also pretty mystified by Access To Work, what support might be available to me and how I access it.

I'm sorry that I can't really distill this into a question, but I suppose that's half of my problem. It feels like a terrifying chicken-and-egg situation.

Thanks.

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.