Unable to attend medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unable to attend medical assessment

Hello, I am in the esa support group and recently had to reschedule my esa medical assessment due to snow. 

Having got it rescheduled successfully for tomorrow I am concerned that I will be unable to attend this one for medical reasons, I have a balance disorder thats quite unpredictable, days where I wake up and find I am unable to move my head  let alone travel anywhere. 
I am feeling conjested and i fear it will set off a bad episode of dizziness, i dont want to miss the appointment and have the benefit stopped but i cant do much if i cant get to it.

Quite frankly my conditions that warrent esa are unchanging to being constanty reassessed seems pointless

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Did you reschedule the last appointment or was it them that canceled it because of the weather? If you canceled it then you need to attend this assessment. If you don't attend then your file will most likely be returned to DWP for failing to attend because you can only cancel an appointment once. This could cause you to be found fit for work for failing to attend and then your payments will be stopped.

Is there anyone that can go with you to make sure you stay safe, a friend or family member?

I agree about constantly being re-assessed i feel the same way having recently been through it yet again myself.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Franknfurter122
    Franknfurter122 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Thanks for replying, thats what I was worried about, I cancelled the appointment once already. 

yeh i do have people to go with me, its walking anywhere thats the issue  i am not quite sure how to go about it. 

its odd that being ill can see you being fit for work quite a contradiction. i have gone to  4 medicals so far pretty much repeating my self each time 

• poppy123456
    For me ESA is the most worrying when being re-assessed. It's because the criteria for each for the groups is so strict there's no room for movement.

Does the person you're going with have a car? Maybe they could drive you there or maybe they know someone that can drive you both?

I hate snow but maybe sometimes it's not a bad thing to have a couple of feet on the ground, especially times like this right? ;)

However you get there, good luck!

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MatthewD1985
    MatthewD1985 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    If your appointment is not too early, then I would give them a ring to see if they can rearrange. Otherwise I would try and get there like poppy123456 has said take someone with you. Check to see if the jobcentre had closed anyway, if it had closed suddenly they may not have had time to send the texts as if it has it would probably not be classed as a failed appointment. As you said you can't make it theres not much you can do about it so keep yourself safe and if you have to call to rearrange then that's what you will have to do. It doesn't seem as though it took long to get this appointment so hopefully it wouldn't affect your benefit if it was rebooked for say this week. Good luck!!
  • poppy123456
    A lot of the time work capability assessments aren't held at your local job centre. They usually take place elsewhere. It will give you details of where it is in the letter you received.

Unfortunately, not attending isn't an appointment because the appointment has already been canceled once. Unless of course they contact you to cancel it.
  • Franknfurter122
    yeh it is quite stressful the worry of being denied the benifit. 

thanks for your answers i suppose i will have to wait and see, but yes ultimatly  i will ensure my safety is paramount, would be silly to risk safety for an appointment. 

Hopefully it will be fine 
  • Franknfurter122
    yes thats why i was asking is because i know i already had to rearrange once

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.