Non-Dependant is not a family member — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non-Dependant is not a family member

Andrew_Freeman1
Andrew_Freeman1 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
This is some information that is handy to know. I find that councils tend to forget about such things and have been claiming members of the family are "non-Dependant! who'd have thunk it :).
I have also found out that Councils have discretion to reduce CT Liability, as they see fit, even to zero! Has anyone ever had this done?

Statutory Instrument 2006. No 213 Social security

The Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 state: Part 1 section 3 Definition of non-dependant; 
(1) In these regulations, "Non-Dependant" means any person, except some one whom paragraph (2) applies.

Paragraph (2); This paragraph applies to...
(a) any member of the claimants family!!!

Its amazing what you find if you question and check everything.

Comments

• JCC
    JCC Community member Posts: 38 Courageous
    Hello and thank you for the information it is certainly an eye opener.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    You just got to have the time and inclination to find thrst things out, sometimes we stumble on these gems of information by chance. The internet is a great tool for finding things out. Just type your question and lots of information comes up the best are the official government sites.
  • Andrew_Freeman1
    Andrew_Freeman1 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    edited February 2019
    Very true wilko. Sometimes you get to much info from the net and don't know which way to turn. 
    I help people with debt of my own accord and been off work for over a year now so have the time to look. I have a passion for Law, history to. This has led me to learn a lot about debt, our constitution, banking, money mind blowing really.
    I am a member of an organisation that are bringing a claim about mortgages, this alone will be bigger than PPI. Hopefully you will all hear about it one day soon. 

You are welcome JCC 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.