Social worker issues — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Social worker issues

April2018mom
April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
So I met with a new social worker the other day in my flat. She was there to help me apply to social services for more adaptive equipment for DS and DD. Supposedly so. 
She kept making me feel uncomfortable and asked me a lot of inappropriate questions. For several minutes I was answering endless questions about their disabilities and how much it impacted our lives. It honestly felt like I was filling out the dreaded DLA form once again. 
I got the impression she had not read their notes. My question is it a good idea to complain about her? What is the best way to do so? Plus she smelled of alcohol too. I don’t want someone who can’t do their job properly. We recently moved to a new area and were assigned a previously unmet social worker over Christmas time. Until last week I didn’t have any chance of meeting her.
My son’s first ever social worker was amazing. She helped me fill out the paperwork, complimented me and actually read their notes before visiting us. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the system.
I have sent social services a email describing the meeting. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

They have to ask questions to get a picture of the difficulties experienced in their life. It can often feel like you're being intimidated by the questions they ask but try not to look into this too much. They are there to help.

However, smelling of alcohol is not good and most certainly not very professional. For this reason yes you should most definitely make a formal complaint to your local council about this social worker.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you. I’ve contacted my local council to make a official complaint about the social worker. I’ve also requested a new one. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I  was wondering did you have someone with you when they visited? It may be helpful for you to have support when dealing with new people and they can also witness what's going on if necessary. Also it sounds  like they were asking questions according to what they were there for and perhaps they may want to hear your input first hand rather then just notes? I'm not on anyone's sides  just putting it out there. In an ideal world we should be able to choose or make a good match with health professionals but in real life there's limited resources. 
    For next time, perhaps prepare what you want to say and ask and keep a notepad handy to write down answers so you feel more in control of the situation and you can look back on your notes. If that's an issue for you I mean. I find it hard to deal with new people and situations and it can help to do this. You may have other ways to do that.
    Also jumping straight to a complaint on first meeting them, to me may be a bit harsh, just putting it out there as there are probably steps you could go through first to try to resolve any issues. It depends how bad the situation is of course. I wasn't there so you know how bad it was. 
    I hope you get this resolved asap. Good luck. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.