Can't find a doctor for home visit about serious medical issue — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can't find a doctor for home visit about serious medical issue

DetestingWP
DetestingWP Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I had a very possible melanoma on my right eyebrow. It's been like an age spot for about a year and then suddenly decided to grow, rise, become two-coloured and include a few dots/spots. I called my doctor for  a home appointment because I am disabled and therefore bedbound. The doctor said it was urgent, this was a Friday, nothing can be done on the weekend but will get a call on Monday to arrange an appointment. Five weeks later and still nothing. It wasn't the first problem I'd had with the surgery - I needed a DWP home-assessment letter from them last September and didn't receive it until this January, when it was too late. I had had enough and had a go at the surgery boss, calling her useless, with both of these and not having a home visit for over a year, so she unregistered me. Since then I've been in touch with 111, assuming that service would take over responsibly, and send a doctor out, but that's not one of their services either.
There is no way I can go. I've been in touch with NHS England, and CCG; who are arranging a new surgery, which took seven weeks last time due to local doctors requiring one must attend the surgery before we are registered - and it took that long to get around that;  as the growth continues to enlarge and change shape dramatically. Nothing has been done by NHS. Is there anything else anybody else can suggest. Leaving the house is impossible, but I can't even find private doctors that would come 'round for a huge fee, which I could borrow, either. Does anybody have any ideas, anybody? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Hi @DetestingWP

Welcome to the community. How are you doing today?

I am sorry to hear about this, some of our members may be able to answer your questions soon.

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Goodness, I'm so sorry to hear this @DetestingWP. What did 111 say when you called and explained the situation?

Are there any other local surgeries you can register with? You can search for GP surgeries near you here.
  • Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through @DetestingWP.  
    It sounds like a really tricky situation as it should get looked at asap, but it would be the responsibility of your GP to do a home visit & even at that they might need a dermatoscope to assess it & I don't think they're very transportable to do a home visit.  
    It might be worth ringing around local GP surgeries yourself to see if you can speed up getting registered with a new GP faster than NHS England & CCG can.  Or getting someoneelse to ring around for you if you're not able.  
    111 don't have any doctors to see people unfortunately - they can only give people home treatment advice or signpost them to the most suitable service e.g. pharmacy, GP or A&E.

The only other option I can think of is going to A&E if you can get transported there.  I know you said you're bedbound & housebound but I don't think there are any home visit services apart from the GP, which you don't currently have.  Could you manage ambulance transport to hospital?  I know it's not normally an appropriate use of A&E, but it doesn't seem like there is any other option for you & it probably shouldn't wait 6-8 weeks.  The difficulty is that non-urgent ambulance transport to hospital I think would also be normally organised through your GP.  So I'm not sure how you would organise that.  Or is there a local Disability Transport service which might be able to help?

I'm so sorry you're stuck in this situation.  
    If you end up with a similar situation again of the GP saying they would do something by a certain date & it not happening, then I would follow it up by contacting them asap e.g. I probably would have phoned them just before 5pm on the Monday if haven't heard anything, and then daily as a reminder.  And if you're frequently having to remind then put in a gentle complaint.  (I'm aware that I have no idea how difficult or otherwise it is for you to make a phonecall, if it's difficult I would see if someone else could help you with it if possible).

I hope you got sorted as know it's a long time now since you're original post.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.