If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

What job can i do?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] ListenerPosts: 0 Listener
edited February 6 in Ask an employment adviser
Ok where do I start... I have bowel incontinence due to surgery for a fistulotomy both internal and external sphincters were cut thus leaving me with no control over my bowels and nerve damage. I have been turned down for help, I can’t work, can’t leave the house (if I need to I starve myself for a couple of days before to reduce the risk of soiling myself), have no income so cannot afford to buy incontinence products so washing machine and tumble dryer are constantly on the go as I have ibs too. My husband is great and provides for me but I am a burden financially as we cannot even get a council tax rebate. I am desperate to earn some money and take the strain off my husband but what job could I possibly do? Is anyone in the same position as me and holds down a job? Thank you for reading 


  • Antonia_ScopeAntonia_Scope Pioneering Posts: 1,783Member Pioneering
    edited February 6
    Hi @marmitesmum welcome to the community.

    Thank you for sharing this with us, I am sorry to hear what you're going through. You may be interested in joining our dealing with chronic pain discussions.

    Have you been in touch with your local council or CAB about the council tax rebate? 

    Hopefully some of our members will be able to answer your questions, regarding employment.

  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Scope community team Posts: 7,647Administrator Scope community team
    Hi @marmitesmum
    Our @Pippa_Scope created a great blog about accessible work with a chronic illness that you might like to take a look at?
    Senior online community officer
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,856Member Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @Sam_Scope :) 

    Really hope you find something that works for you @marmitesmum, please do keep us updated!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Listener Posts: 0 Listener
    Hi thank you for replying. I am still no wiser but I have now been prescribed peristeen to try and help me gain some control over my bowels but in a catch 22 as there are regular prescription charges for parts and I have no income so can’t see that helping for long. I have looked at trying to work from home as I cannot leave the house and I cannot seem to find anything that will help raise money. As this has been ongoing for 4 years now I have tried crafting ie making cards, vinyl wall art etc but there is no market for prices I need to charge to cover just the cost let alone make a living. So if anyone has any bright ideas to help me gain suitable employment that will allow me to swan off and clean myself up at any given time please please let me know 😂 and I will be eternally grateful. 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Disability Gamechanger Posts: 5,246Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    With regard to prescripton charges, you should apply for an HC2 cert which will entitle you to fre prescription via the low income scheme. First you will need and HC1 to apply
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • pia_scopepia_scope Courageous Posts: 41Support to Work Courageous
    [email protected]

    Welcome to the community!

    I am glad to see that you have received some advise already.

    What comes into mind when reading your post is self employment, or any job that you can do working from home.
    Would this be an option for you?

    If you like support in finding paid employment ( not self employment) you are welcome to see if the Support to work service would be of interest.
    You can read about the service here

    I wish you all the best and hope that you will find employment.

    Kind regards

    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]

  • oliva087oliva087 Listener Posts: 9Member Listener
    You can try online-based jobs. The writing job and the video creating jobs are most popular now in the market. Fiverr is a great place for beginners. You will get writing jobs on iWriter.
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Scope community team Posts: 3,392Administrator Scope community team
    Great tips @oliva087, thanks for sharing and welcome to the community!
    Senior Online Community Officer
Sign in or join us to comment.