Spinal Stenosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Spinal Stenosis

chris1
chris1 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone, I also suffer with Spinal Stenosis

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris1

Welcome to our online community/family ?

Please let me know if you need any help getting around❓❓

@steve51

• chris1
    Will do, I have recently acquired an electric wheelchair
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chris1

Yes I have had 1or 2 in my time.

I still have got some that get me out & about.

“Mind you that is not that often currently”

@steve51

• robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Hello  please could anyone hlep me with some advice  how long dose it take to receive ESA I applied in November 2018 I had my  assessment on the 23rd of November I have been put in a group  I can no longer work
  • chris1
  • Ian777
    Ian777 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    chris1 said:
    Hello everyone, I also suffer with Spinal Stenosis
    Hi Chris - I realise your post is quite old now but I'm searching around the net looking for more info on Spinal Stenosis (had it a while but got by, now starting to affect day to day stuff). Is this the place to be to get info? Any other better sites? How has your condition fared?
    Any info greatly appreciated
    Ian
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello again @Ian777 what info are you looking for about your stenosis ?
  • Ian777
    Ian777 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    SueHeath said:
    Hello again @Ian777 what info are you looking for about your stenosis ?
    Hi, thanks- I am looking to find out how this develops over the years, if it worsens etc. If it does worsen, in what way - enough to stop reasonable levels of mobility? Treatment I have had so far, apart from the diagnostic scans etc, are for pain relief and some physio to improve muscles around the areas affected (the pain relief helps but the physio hasn't achieved anything (except sometimes a lot more pain after doing them).
    Taking into account the period I did nothing about it and then diagnosis I suppose I've had this for around 7 years but its def getting worse more recently. I'm wary of an op for it as I can still get about and the Consultant made quite an issue of the fact it has risk (this was a few years back when he was discussing the possible routes for dealing with it but he said drugs and physio would be best). Now its affected my sports life, which has stopped and without really realising it, its shaping everything from holidays to shopping trips. I keep living each day with it as if thats the way it is to be from now on, but I can see that may not be the case - it looks like I need to consider beyond. 
  • CountryMimi
    CountryMimi Scope Member Posts: 145 Pioneering
    Hi, I have spinal stenosis too. Had emergency surgery, discectomy and laminectomy last June as I started with cauda equina
  • SueHeath
    Hi @CountryMimi yep it's a worry isn't it, how have you been since the opp, did it help with any incontinence x
  • CountryMimi
    @SueHeath it absolutely is! No, the incontinence is still pretty bad. I've been told it may go, but there's also a possibility that it won't either.

What do you all do in terms of getting around? Feel like I could do with a wheelchair or scooter for longer journeys, but it's proving to be a struggle as can't lift a scooter to get it into boot of my car and would also be a struggle getting it to the house to charge etc. On the other hand, I have nobody on hand to push me around in a wheelchair 🙈
  • SueHeath
    Hi @CountryMimi sorry been trying to play catch up ha ha and only just seen your post.
    The hospital wouldn't opperate on my spine they said my spine to unstable, and the opp could cause a lot more problems and yet they have told me to go to A&E if i get the incontinence and a few more things on the list, which i am avoiding doing as i do not want them touching my spine now. So you have helped make my mind up even more if it's not helping with the water works, i will try and keep up with that myself. One of my doc's have told me to try and walk through the pain as the worry with muscle etc would be yet another problem, so i have been trying it, albeit not as far as i would like, but any excuse to get outside is worth it for me, i'm lucky my husband is very attentive and we have access to a wheel chair, but i'm fighting not to use it, would be a different story if i hadn't got my husband, so i am great full for that. We are trying to get the house more user friendly, while we can as i know things will only get worse as i age more, but hey ho trying to stay positive, i wish you all the luck in the world with yours darling xx
  • CountryMimi
    No worries at all @SueHeath

You have to do what's right for you, but ultimately, the outcome is different for everyone. Of course, entirely your decision, but I would definitely advise going to A&E if you do start with incontinence - was told I could have been paralysed without the surgery 😔

Just to add my incontinence could also be connected with my kidneys - I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Chronic kidney disease the other day, just to add salt to the wound 😔 so it may be that my kidneys are having an impact as well.

I'm so pleased you've got your husband and that you're trying to make your house more user friendly for your needs, hopefully that will really help!

Thank you, bit of a rubbish time really, I'm only 32 and am just so worried about my health at the minute. Thinking of you too, here if you ever need to talk xxx

• SueHeath
    Bless you @CountryMimi i understand your worry darling, you are so young to be suffering with this and i under stand your worries, we each deal with our demons (as i call mine) differently, i was as young as you when i was diagnosed with other issues and always fought through, you will to darling and my fingers are crossed for you. xx
  • CountryMimi
    @SueHeath oh bless you, can't have been easy at all! Sending lots of love to you xxx

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.