Help needed please.x — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed please.x

helenzx6r
helenzx6r Community member Posts: 39 Connected
hi
i have been unable to work since November 2018. Due to chronic hip and back pain, severe depression and anxiety and incontinence
I have been claiming universal credit as I was on a low income from my 2 cleaning jobs.
I have been providing fit notes to both UC and My employers.
I have applied for LCW with universal credit and had my MA on 30th January 
I have also applied for PIP? 
I don’t know if the MA.was for UC or PIP? Will 1 MA cover both benefits.?

my questions are 
what am entitled to?
and what am I best off claiming.? 
I have rescheaeched online and I am
titqlly confused as to what I should b claiming
and DWP are no help at all.((

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in both hips and lower back, degenerative disc disease, fracture of lumbar vertebra, prolapsed disc with sciatica, carpool tunnel and Dequervains in both wrists 
urge incontinemce, depression and anxiety.(

thank you you for any advice you can give me.xx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Most people have face to face assessments for LCW and PIP. It would be a complete guess at this point which assessment it was that you had. Do you have any idea which company did the assessment, this will give me some idea which assessment it was for.

Claiming LCW and PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect you. For UC then there's descriptors to meet for each of the groups, LCW and LCWRA. If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive extra money per month with your UC from the 4th month of your claim, starting from when you handed in your first fit note.

If you're given LCW then there's no extra money per month.

What you could claim on UC will depend on your circumstances. If you rent your home then there's the housing element to help you pay this but it's all in one monthly payment.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed by contacting your local council, if you haven't already done this.

Other than that it will be just the PIP, which you've already started a claim for.

Evidence will be needed for both claims because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @helenzx6r

A very warm welcome.

Suggest you seek face to face advice from a Welfare Rights Adviser, like those available at Citizens Advice or your local Community Law Centre.

They will be able to conduct a benefits review on your behalf.

Thereafter, they can purse such benefits on your behalf.

Please keep us informed.

We are here to assist in anyway possible.

• helenzx6r
    Hi,

Most people have face to face assessments for LCW and PIP. It would be a complete guess at this point which assessment it was that you had. Do you have any idea which company did the assessment, this will give me some idea which assessment it was for.

Claiming LCW and PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect you. For UC then there's descriptors to meet for each of the groups, LCW and LCWRA. If you're given LCWRA then you'll receive extra money per month with your UC from the 4th month of your claim, starting from when you handed in your first fit note.

If you're given LCW then there's no extra money per month.

What you could claim on UC will depend on your circumstances. If you rent your home then there's the housing element to help you pay this but it's all in one monthly payment.

Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed by contacting your local council, if you haven't already done this.

Other than that it will be just the PIP, which you've already started a claim for.

Evidence will be needed for both claims because they very rarely contact anyone for any evidence.

Hi 
    thanks for your reply.x
    ive now found out that the assessment was for universal credit 
    To determine if I’m entitled
     to LCW or LCWRA

I am im receipt of all elements of universal credit that I’m entitled to  
    housing benefit etc as they were helping me when I was working 
    as I was on a low income.
    i also receive single person discount on my Council tax from my 
    local council, which I also received when I was on my low income jobs.

I also understand that the LCW, LCWRA and PIP are all based on my capabilities.!
    Some of my disabilities  I have been suffering with for years now...carpol tunnel and dequervains. Sciatica and depression,
    i have only  recently been diagnosed with my arthritis, degenerative disc disease and vertebra fracture ! But suffering the symptoms since 2015!
    I am now struggling every day in almost all  aspects of my life and have been for a long time.!

i have looked at lots of info and tests on the assessments and I score very high in them
    all.!

i just wanted to know what and if I should b claiming now my  Gp has told me I am going to b long  term sick.!
    im also due to have more mri and X-rays as it’s now in my hands and knees aswell as my hips and back...

regards

• poppy123456
    There's no other benefits apart from the ones you've already put a claim in for, which is UC and PIP. Council tax reduction you're already claiming.

I'm afraid you just need to wait for the decision on your UC LCW. As i advised if you're given LCWRA then you'll receive the extra £328 per month in your money.

If you're awarded PIP after you've been assessed then there's that which is paid separately to UC.

For the UC assessment, after a week you can either put a note on your journal or ring UC and ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • helenzx6r
    Will
    i have to do another medical for
    my pip claim?

I asked about which would b better for me  UC or ESA as I’ve been advised to make a claim for new style
    ESA abd PIP
    aswell as keeping my claim
    with UC?!!

PIP As u know I’ve already applied for 
  • poppy123456
    Yes you'll need a face to face assessment for the PIP claim because most people have them.

There would be no point claiming New style ESA because what you'll receive from that will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC payments. New Style ESA is the same as LCW for UC.
  • poppy123456
    You need to claim UC for your housing element and as you've already had the work capability assessment for UC then a claim for ESA would be pointless.
  • poppy123456
    That was meant to say you needed not need to claim UC.
  • helenzx6r
    Ive been on universal
    credits since last year when I started a low income job 
    so I was already claiming it
  • poppy123456
    Yes i know as you see it was a typo and i corrected the error in the post below.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.