If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Difficulty attending job centre appointments

Brook1968Brook1968 Posts: 1Member Listener
Please can I ask I am currently claiming universal credit but am awaiting news on a work capability assessment to determine what group I will be put in based on my uc50 and whether or not I have to go to a face to face assessment due to mental health issues. But am finding it extremely difficult to keep going to my local jobcentre to see a work coach every 2 weeks until my assessment comes through, could I shut my claim down and let my partner claim universal credit as he is my carer.? 


  • Tarpuk4Tarpuk4 Posts: 34Member Connected
    Hi Brooke, 
    My cousin has difficulties getting to see her work coach so now they interview her over the phone. Is this something that can be done for you too? She's also just filled her health assessment form in ready to be posted on Monday.
    I don't know what to tell you about claiming with your partner as he is your carer also.
    Maybe some others on here can help you with that one xx
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 4,500Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Brook1968   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who guide. advise and help new members who join.

    In response to your question I am unsure of an answer.  There will be members of our community or a member of our team will be able to give you an answer.

    Have you spoken to CAB about your benefit enquiry. They have expertise and knowledge could be useful to contact them.

    Please ask if we can help further .

    Please take care.

  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Posts: 2,799Member Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome. I understand completely. I believe you can ask for a private room for your jcp appointments as well. I'm not sure of the u c situation. Good luck. 

    I am a fibrowarrior!
  • Antonia_ScopeAntonia_Scope Posts: 1,783Member Pioneering
    Hi @Brook1968 How is it all going, were you able to get in contact with your local job centre?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 11,794Community champion Disability Gamechanger

    To claim UC you claim as a couple so closing your claim for your partner to claim won't help because the situation will still be the same. You can speak to your work coach while you're waiting for your assessment and explain to them the difficulty you're having about attending your appointments. It's their discretion whether they reduce your work commitments or not. If they refuse to do this then you're within your rights to request a different work coach in the hope your next one will be more understanding.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 4,500Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Brook1968 I do understand what you are going through with Jobcentres.

    I asked for my support worker to attend any interviews with me when I used to sign on.

    Had a meeting with jobcentre managers because had ten signing on officers in six months.

    I have anxiety and it became worse which I know is very difficult for myself.

    Had in attendance my support worker and we came to an agreement, used a private room. Plus asked for some support being there if my floating support could not be there.

    I hope that helps you.

    Please take care.

Sign in or join us to comment.