If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Fit note instead of medical evidence?

Bigbadwolf04Bigbadwolf04 Posts: 3Member Listener
edited February 11 in Universal Credit
I wanted to apply for Disability Allowance as I have a learning Disability which restricts my reading and writing, also limiting me to few jobs. I also suffer from mild epilepsy which is under control with medication. We were advised by Citizens Advice to get a letter from my GP stating my Learning Dis.
and then to phone the Universal Credit and ask for an appointment to get the UC50 Form. On doing all this the U/C told me that I now need a 'Fit Note '  from 1 December 2018 to 5th February 2019. Can someone please help and advice me as do not want to worry my Dr again after he has given me the first letter regarding my Learning Dis. dated 1st February 2019.


  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 4,254Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Bigbadwolf04   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members.

    I do understand the reasons not to bother your Doctor. From my own experience. If you need something then ask.   Your Doctor should be understanding.  

    They do know and realise the situation .  To give you some reassurance. I do not like to bother my Doctor as well. Yet have done . Even in a week visited twice. 

    Please can I suggest if you need a fit note. Then you will need to contact your Doctor as required.

    I hope that helps.

    Please take care.


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 10,314Community champion Disability Gamechanger

    To claim limited capability for work for Universal credit then you'll need a fit/sick note from your GP stating the reasons why you're not fit for work.

    Your work coach will eventually refer you for a work capability assessment and they you'll receive the UC50 form. When you fill this out and return it you need to make sure you send evidence to support your conditions and how they affect your ability to work.

    You'll most likely have a face to face assessment as most people have them. The whole process could take at least several months.
  • Bigbadwolf04Bigbadwolf04 Posts: 3Member Listener
    Thankyou for the info, the trouble is I am fit for work but having a learning disability  which restricts me from certain jobs and earning a liveable salary. That is why I thought I could get a top up with Universal Credit - Disability Living Allowance.

  • Bigbadwolf04Bigbadwolf04 Posts: 3Member Listener
    To Spiceman, thank you I will make an appointment again and get the Fit note. I have a casual job at moment for this week it is night shift so sleeping in day but finish on Friday so will try then. Regards Bigbadwolf04
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Posts: 10,314Community champion Disability Gamechanger
    DLA (disability living allowance) no longer exists for those aged between 16-65. New claims for this ended in April 2013. It has now been replaced with PIP (personal independence payment)

    PIP isn't part of UC and claiming it will depend on how your conditions affect you. It's not awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

    You'll need evidence to support your claim and a face to face assessment is most likely. Whether you'll be awarded or not will totally depend on how your affected. People can have a disability but not qualify for PIP because if the descriptors don't apply to you, you won't score the points for an award.

Sign in or join us to comment.