If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

ADDICTION THE UNTOLD STORY

thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 3,486Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
edited February 11 in Mental health issues
Hello my friends, every body. I was reading on the web pages and media about the savage unnecessary cuts to addiction services.

As some of our community know I am an reformed alcoholic been clean 12 years this March.  I have so much time for those in our community. Who are going through this difficult time and period of their lives.

I will always support those members who need to talk and sometimes feel the need to offload with their feelings and emotions.  Add to that the mental wellbeing and anxiety addiction causes.

According to media reports local councils have cut 60% budgets to services dealing with alcohol and drugs.

Because of this other issues are unfolding .  Especially those of our community who are elderly or disabled.  Because of reductions in budgets. Plus the benefit situations many of our community endure.

Cannot attend or go to group therapies which are there to help and guide those with problems.  Falling in between the system and just not getting any help and support they desperately need.

I know from my own personal experience I have a friend who is employed in addiction clinics most of his working life.  Been told he was made redundant .  His position not filled.

Absolutely shocking to me because helped me with my problems. Understanding those like himself.  He is now employed doing something else. Spending time not doing the job he was trained for. What a waste.

Must share also that do know after care is non existent.  One of the big fears is the fragile state of your mental wellbeing. I know this my many posts on this forum.

In the old days you came out of a clinic as in patient transferred to a ARP. Which is a Addiction Rolling Programme. Usually a group session.  Now been cut and disbanded.

Even my length of absenteeism some days have issues and know my own mental health.  

The problems are becoming to those who have an issue or a problem where to turn to.

Alcoholism is a disease and should be treated as one.

There are charities and associations out there that do good work in helping those to follow a path.  Always worth contacting many have sign posting to recovery services and are taking up a lot of the case loads.

One final point. If you think you have an problem with alcohol or drugs then seek the advice of your Doctor.  Honesty is the best policy.  I myself was not honest with my alcohol intake and carried my secret with me for thirty years.

Till it got to the place where I had to do something. You know what you are doing and the mental hurt and harm.

Now use my time to educate others who wish to be like myself. 

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Replies

• clarkjohnsonclarkjohnson Posts: 173Member Talkative
  • EmmaBEmmaB Posts: 89Member Chatterbox
    Well said @thespiceman

The irony is that they cut these services thinking they will save money when in actual fact they end up having to spend it through other services eg ambulance services, NHS emergency room, benefits etc.  It makes no sense not to deal with the root cause rather than the symptoms...
  • Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Posts: 6,908Administrator Scope community team
    Thanks for sharing @thespiceman

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenistmonkBenistmonk Posts: 176Member Talkative
    Good post, similar cuts being made to mental health care, you can treat yourself online now. Like that is going to work.
  • thespicemanthespiceman Posts: 3,486Member, Community champion Brian Blessed
    Hello @clarkjohnson   Thank you very much for support.

Pleased to have met you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Hello @EmmaB   Thank you for reply.  The need for access to get the help and support for addiction begins as many a case at over stretched emergency services.

The statistics for people being admitted with alcohol related illness are increasing.  Unfortunately many do not realise the serious and severe consequences of their actions.

Having been there with former friends who insist have not an issue.  I have to use I afraid to say often words then and still now.  

No one wishes to critical of a friend be harsh and be insensitive yet I have to sometimes. Because I see them as I was.

Try to explain the issues and difficulties. This is heart-breaking for myself as ending up losing a friendship. What particular hurts is the negativity and the deep trauma it is having on that person with the addiction.

You are helpless because you can say everything and share your emotions and feelings.  

Just hope and pray that they have to think it through. Stop the denial and try to consider their actions. Have acceptance.

That is the main problem.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Hello @Benistmonk   Thank you for kind words.

I agree with you entirely.  About mental health cuts. The whole connection between mental health and addiction is becoming over stretched and under funded.

As I know too well.

Reason thank you for this forum . Can share my fears and insecurities, anxieties. My many posts.

Continuing support for community members going through the difficulties of addiction.

Pleased to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    I'm an honest sort of bloke worked all me life over forty years never asked for anything paid my dues like a good many others . Then I was diagnosed with penile cancer in September 2017 had my Opps and procedure s and because my cancer was a rare and aggressive type had to to have some lymph nodes removed as a precaution for future well being . I had an appointment last week and was given the all clear . Now I don't want a medal for what I and my family have gone through but it's left me mentally and physically drained and not the person I was . As I said I've worked all my life till the nasty disease entered my life and because my job was full on and needed a clear mind working on machine s etc I stopped work . Anyway after providing fit notes from my my gp for a period of time I was informed I would have to have an health assessment. I filled my esa50 form in and told them basically where my life was at and said I'd been on cancer sites and been informed 90 percent of people have mental and fatigue issue s following cancer treatment. I went to my assessment and was seen by a young woman and I thought how can she possibly no how a 63 year old man with penile cancer issues feels and all the emotions you go through. She asked irrelevant questions which I answered honestly and I left . Then I had a letter saying I could do some sort of work perhaps I'll get a job as a jcb driver I no a health assessment building that needs bulldozing . Keep smiling folks . 
    Hello @clarkjohnson   Thank you for sharing. Well done to you for beating Cancer.

How can I be supportive and help.?

I know the problems are a many with Cancer survivors. I am here as a community champion and most important of all. I am here to offer anything to ease the problems.  By listening and just being a friend.

My own issues are not important I just wanted to share.

Talk about the plight of many with addiction.

One thing I do know it is worth talking to CAB about your assessment. They can help and advise.

Many members have contacted their local MP to consult and inform what is happening to them.  Something to consider.

Please can I ask have you spoken to the Cancer websites for additional support.

Could be worth contacting for anything they can advise on further.

Please keep in touch.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman

Thank you spice man appreciate your words I basically find myself in a tunnel world . It's a feeling like haveing two people inside one body . Even though haveing an all clear diagnosis is obviously a plus I actually feel worse than I was first diagnosed. It's a surreal place to be honest . I had never had any health issues before and hadn't seen a doctor for over 40 years I believed I would reach retirement age and plod on with my life but alas I find myself with just under 3 years to go . Hence I've arrived in the benifit system. I've been as honest as I can about my feelings and it's like they count for nothing . I didn't realise what an uncaring world we live in and after working hard all your life and need understanding at a low ebb in ones life they don't give a toss . I'm not looking for favours just someone to say you've worked hard over 40 years had a life changing illness it's time to have a rest and get on with the rest of your life . But in there world it's you can do some sort of work when the truth is I didn't choose to stop working in the first place a certain disease with a c word did . Cheers friend 👍
    Hello @clarkjohnson ; Thank you for reply.  I can identify what you are going through.

Especially since being on this forum meeting many members like you self.  Who work hard and expect to retire and be happy. Instead experiencing the brutal harshness of the benefit system.

I am myself know having been in employment and lots of experience in the sector.   Including running a business. Very much changed and switched to different careers.  Even retrained and have loads of new qualifications.

There came a time for me if in interviews . Having not got relevant qualifications . Constantly every time even when I had.  How many more times you ask yourself.

Having tried unsuccessfully to get back in employment due to mental health, ageism and disability discrimination .

I use my knowledge and my life skills learnt through addiction plus other aspects of my life.  To help and inspire others to follow a path. Help and give back.

If that means volunteering .  Looking at relevant organisations and societies related to my health conditions.  Something I am aware of and use to guide others be an inspiration.

I know it is always going to be and have these issues.. 

I know there always will be a place for you here . Some one to listen, be a friend any time to chat.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Thanks again it's just that if I was an employer why would they want to employ a clapped out 63 year old who's got under 3 years till they retire 
Sign in or join us to comment.