I’ve just received my pip letter and I’m going to be losing my car — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I’ve just received my pip letter and I’m going to be losing my car

chez72
chez72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I’ve just received my pip letter and I’m going to be loosing my car, I’m really upset by. I scored that I can walk 20m but not more than 50. The problem is my spine I have aid of 2 crutches and on a bad , bad day I can’t get out of bed. On a better bad day I couldn’t walk to my nearest shop for gas/electric etc or to walk to my doctors. To get to my nearest bus stop I would have to stop 3/4 times as I am in pain constantly but I was on 150 mg patches that the pain clinic have advised me to come off , I have now got down to 75mg and the pain is getting worse and I am finding it extremely difficult. If they take my car from me I won’t be able to to take my youngest son who is 10 to school, or go to the hospital for appointments 
i don’t know what to do and how about going through the appeal
please could anyone give any advice
thanks x

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @chez72   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.  Sorry what has happened I do understand as this has happened to my self. Many of our community members can identify what you are going through.

I lost my car last year.  

I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members.  Who join.

Please may I suggest to give you reassurance have a look at our appeals advice and information on our website.

This will give you more idea of what you need to do.

If it is possible speak to CAB.  I know this may be difficult for you.  If you have problems walking.  If you need to visit them for an appointment.

As a former car driver on the scheme please can I add.  This is heart-breaking and emotional I know.  Your will receive from the scheme providers a booklet and a lot of information, advice .

Much of it very useful and informative.  Including financial incentives.  Please read that carefully. Also speak to them the Motability scheme .

They have a helpline.  Plus on their website a guide to getting about.

Also one final point and to give further reassurance.  Had to adapt a lot of new ways to get about. Change for example shopping and do a lot on line.

Including shopping, prescriptions.  Plus Banking.

Found going on line a lot of taxi firms who realise the situation as a community we are in.  So used one that has experience of dealing with our community.

By costs equal paying fuel and additional costs when driving. Works out cheaper for myself paying a taxi.

As I only use it for appointments and anything else.  Odd trip combined with appointments to Post Office or Bank.

Everything else delivered. 

I hope that does give you some reassurance and comfort.  We are here to help and be supportive.

Always here to listen anytime.

Whatever you decide we are here to answer any questions you may have.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You now have 1 month from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you should put your request in writing stating what you disagree with, where you think you should have score those points and your reasons why. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity.

They will look at the whole award again and not just part of it. If the MR decision remains the same, and most of them so then it's Tribunal after that.

I'd advise you to speak to a local advice centre near you for help and support. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chez72
    chez72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks hun
    i will do 
    do the tribunals normally work or will just stay the same do you think ? X
  • poppy123456
    50% of those that appear in person have a decision in their favour. If you're represented then it jumps to 71%. Only 8% of paper based hearings are successful. Of course you need to request the MR first.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • 26Cookesterrace
    26Cookesterrace Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Any tips on how i fill in my renewal pip which is due in April .
    Thanks for accepting me
  • poppy123456
    Any tips on how i fill in my renewal pip which is due in April .
    Thanks for accepting me
    With as much information about how your conditions affect you as possible. Adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you.

Best way to always treat a review is as a new claim and never put down "no change" Sending evidence with the form to support your claim.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.