DLA dropped to standard despite new diagnosis — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA dropped to standard despite new diagnosis

Options
Ttd62
Ttd62 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
So today I had a review with a doctor ,my dla was dropped from full to standard when I changed to pip,
Although I still have two damaged discs to my lumbar spine with my sciatic nerve trapped in them, I have now been diagnosed with ptsd, this was originally diagnosed in 2017  will this effect my pip  I have just had 9 mths of meetings with a psychologist which because of ruling within the mental health for NHS I now have to have a break for 12 mths from treatment but still very low mood  tired all the time anxiety and nightmares tears on a daily basis.
Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Ttd62   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who help and advise new members.

Sorry to hear about your illness.

I am unsure of an answer to your question.  There will be members of our community who will be in touch or a member of our team.

I would advise speak to CAB for further advice and information.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Ttd62, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and I'm sorry to hear about your past PIP experiences. It's impossible for anybody to say what the outcome of your review will be, but fingers crossed it's what you're hoping for. Do feel free to keep us updated and if you have any questions, do let us know. Our members will advise where they can!

Does your GP know about how you're feeling at the moment?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out the activities based on the PIP descriptors.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    That's true but it often feels linked to a professional justifying and giving evidence to those pip descriptors. 

Keep on at it  it is worth it even if only to know you have done all you can.

Have you let PIP know that your situation has changed? 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Ttd62,

It's very hard to say whether your PIP award is correct. As Poppy says, it depends on points that you score in various activities, although it's also very true that the actual result is often dependent on the health professional's judgement as well, unfortunately (ie the person who did your assessment). You could

challenge your PIP decision if you think it was wrong (especially if it was quite recent)

Ask for a change to your PIP decision if you think things have got worse recently (you should expect to be reassessed though)

leave things as they are.

Really up to you, but to help you decide, you could take the PIP self-test. The PTSD diagnosis in itself isn't as relevant as how your condition affects you. If you have problems engaging with people for example, then that is relevant. I would take the self test and if that suggests you should get a higher award, then decide what to do about the original decision (whether to challenge it or ask for a change). The diagnosis is helpful when it comes to providing evidence about your condition.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.