new-style esa - JobCentre Appointment with Person to hand in ESA1 form — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

new-style esa - JobCentre Appointment with Person to hand in ESA1 form

yellow2018
yellow2018 Community member Posts: 22 Listener
Hello,

I called up to apply for new-style esa. Subsequently, I was sent the ESA1 form and related details. I have filled this in and then an appointment has been arranged  with a person at the job-centre where I have to bring the ESA1, my Fit Note and proof of ID. I simply wish to ask if anyone else has any experience of these appointments. Obviously, this is not a Health Assessment with Maximus and I have only filled in the ESA1 which is just basic details. What happens at this appointment? I believe I am entitled to Support Group as I cannot do any kind of work or training activity. Are they going to ask me questions about my condition and how it affects me and why I should be entitled to Support Group? Or is it just to check the forms are filled in correctly? I would appreciate some clarity from anyone else. Thank you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hi,

It's just a basic appointment to hand in the form and to check your identity and that's about it. It takes about 3-4 weeks for them to make a decision as to whether you're entitled to New Style ESA and if you are then you'll be paid £73.10 per week assessment rate, which is paid for 13 weeks. Whether you're entitled or not will be depend on your NI contributions from working in the previous 2 tax years.

If you're entitled then you'll eventually be sent a work capability assessment form, this will need to be filled in and returned with all your evidence to support your claim. You'll most likely need to attend a work capability assessment and you'll be asked questions about how your conditions affect you.

There will be a report written which will be returned to DWP and then a decision will be made on your claim. You'll either be found fit for work, placed into the WRAG or Support Group. The whole process could take several months.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • yellow2018
    Thank you very much for this quick response. Regards.
  • yellow2018
    Update: I went to the appointment. The person was perfectly happy with all of my paperwork: ESA1, sick note esc. They scanned/photocopied all of this and stated it will be sent off to the DWP and they will write back to me. That is all fine. However, I have no written confirmation of this appointment or proof from my perspective that the Forms have been sent to the DWP, (for instance, in the same way as you send your PIP Paperwork by signed for post, which gives a form of proof). My question is whether I should at some point phone up the new-style esa line to check that the forms have been received and are being looked at. If I did this, would they be able to provide an answer? Also, what number would I call to do this as the phone number 0800 328 5644 states on the line that this is for "new claims to new-style esa only", so what number would I call for a progress query like mine? It does not make it clear anywhere on the DWP's site what number you would call to do this.         Many Thanks.
  • yellow2018
    Bump. Anyone have any idea with regards to my query? Many Thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    The number you ring is the number you quoted above, there's no other number to ring for New style ESA. I'd advise you to ring that one. A claim for New style ESA can take 3-4 weeks before your first payment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.