I cannot work yet or get any benefits — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I cannot work yet or get any benefits

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 6 Listener
Hi sorry I seem to have missed the introduction board and gone straight to questions! So here I am ? stuck in limbo looking for advice. I am bowel incontinent (4 years) due to surgery and have just been prescribed peristeen to hopefully help me. I don’t go out the house very much at all because of this. I cannot work yet cannot get any benefits and finding the whole system a nightmare and how given up trying now. So that’s me in a nutshell. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2019
    Hello @marmitesmum   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing. Sorry to hear you having some problems and issues. We are here to help.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help on the website. New members who join.

I would consider having a look at the following link for benefits.

Hope that helps.

Benefits find out more 

https://www.gov.uk./browse/benefits/

Also have a look at our advice and support, information on our website which might help you further.

Please ask if we can help and advise some one will know.

Take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    edited February 2019
    Hi @marmitesmum welcome to the community.

Thank you for introducing yourself and no worries at all ;) I can understand it why you would feel like giving up on trying but please try our benefits calculator to find out what support and welfare benefits you can claim. 

Please let us know if you have any questions and we will be happy to help.

• [Deleted User]
    Hi thank you yes I have tried the calculator and it says I could claim 1.33 off my council tax so not worth all the hassle with the paperwork for that! My prescription charges are set to go up now having to pay for peristeen and with no income I will not be able to afford to use it so that is a catch 22 someone has mentioned about applying for free prescriptions and I would need to get the gp to fill the forms in and appointment times are taking up to 6 weeks for routine appointments at our surgery. I clearly need to get a job but doubt this will be possible as I have to go and shower 2-3 times a day at present. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marmitesmum, did you have a look through the links and comments people had left on your other post? There were some good tips and guidance in there that would definitely be worth investigating further if you're looking for flexible, inclusive work.

It may also be worth looking into Scope's Support to Work scheme!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

It's very difficult to give any advice regarding benefits without any information. Filling in a benefits calculator isn't always helpful in some situations because it doesn't tell you what specifically you can claim.

Claiming a means tested benefit will depend on your circumstances. Do you live with a partner that works? Have you worked at all in the previous 2 tax years? Do you rent or own your own home?

Depending on your age PIP isn't means tested but to claim this will depend on how your conditions affect you. PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. You must also be aged between 16-65, must have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months.

If you're above that age then it's attendance allowance.

For free prescriptions the low income scheme is possible, depending on household income, as advised on your other thread. You don't need a GP to fill out the form for this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thank you yes I understand the process and I have even been to the jobcentre regarding help but getting none. We applied for universal credit and were refused as we own our own house. I am 47 and have been bowel incontinent for 4 years after surgery left me this way. I cannot leave the house for fear of soiling myself and on the occasions I have been out the enevitable has happened hence why I don’t bother now as the stress and embarrassment is all too much. My husband works but is not in the greatest health himself (he has AS and it has effected his back, hips and knee joints)  but has to push himself to provide for us both which is why further strain of more prescription charges won’t be welcomed. We both worked hard all our lives and it took an awful lot to ask for help only to be turned down. I need a job working from home and will take a look at the information I have been given though it seems geared up at out of home work. Thank you for trying to help. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,029 Disability Gamechanger
    Universal credit is means tested and the reason you were both refused is because your husbands earnings are possibly too high. As it's a means tested benefit then you claim as a couple. Savings/capital also affect any claim.

You didn't answer my question about you working, have you worked in the previous 2 tax years and paid NI contributions?

As advised, PIP isn't means tested and household income doesn't affect this. Whether you qualify or not will depend on how your conditions affect you. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

For the prescription then have you looked at the low income scheme here. https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme you don't need a GP to fill out the form, you do that yourself. Whether you qualify will depend on your husbands earnings.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Sorry no I have not worked due to being incontinent for the last 4 years. I did try the usual work from home craft etc handmade cards etc but there is too much competition out there to even cover the cost of the stock let alone make a living. I will take a look at the low income scheme but I fear I will not be entitled due to his earnings. 
    ‘Thank you once again 
  • thespiceman
    edited February 2019
    Hello @marmitesmum In response to your posts.  I have been on line and do have following support groups if they might be helpful to you.

I would see if there is anything else they could advise.

As a community champion I can feel the anger and frustration in your posts. I hope we can be supportive and find any solutions.

You mentioned IBS I have the following.

https://www.theibsnetwork.org.

Helpline 0114 272 3253

Monday to Friday  9am to 4.30pm.

https://www.bladderandbowel.org.

General Enquiries 01926 357220

I have also the following organisations all are for employment agencies.

Run by those with disability or an illness.

If that helps.

https://www.disabiltyjobsite.co.uk.

https://www.evenbreak.co.uk.

I hope we can help more please ask. I know it is finding  what you need to maintain the conditions you have.

Please keep in touch and please ask anything.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marmitesmum, here's an excerpt from the blog post shared on your previous post, all about finding work from home opportunities. I was in a very similar situation to you a few years ago and know how disheartening it can be. This is what helped me find work suitable for my chronic illness, so I really hope it's useful!

FIND WORK FROM HOME OPPORTUNITIES:
    • Guardian Jobs: filter searches right down by selecting ‘work from home’ and ‘part time hours’ options. There tend to be frequent well-paid opportunities for experienced workers here.
    • indeed.co.uk: similar to above, but with more miscellaneous opportunities. Some are junk, but there tend to be legitimate and remote/flexible hidden gems in there too.
    • ASTRiiD: a platform matching workers with long-term illness to prospective employers. When creating a profile, you can upload your CV and LinkedIn page, and specify how many hours you’d be comfortable working, and whether you have the ability to travel in advance.
    • EvenBreak: similar to the above, job advertisements aimed at connecting inclusive employers with talented disabled workers. The enterprise also provides online information and resources, and runs campaigns highlighting the benefits of employing disabled people. As of 2016, Channel 4 advertise all their current vacancies on this site.
    • Timewise Jobs: search recruiters and individual job opportunities that accommodate flexible and part-time hours. Vacancies are segregated according to region and there are a handful of remote opportunities currently listed on there too.
    • Large international corporations: this post on The Mighty lists 11 international organisations who routinely recruit for work from home positions all over the world.
    • FlexJobs: a site full of opportunities designed to better work around people’s unique circumstances, including remote and part-time roles. They host success stories and online information guides on their website too. However, only after signing-up are you told that you’ll need to pay a subscription fee to access the jobs, so proceed with caution.
    • PeoplePerHour: I don’t have experience of this myself, but others speak highly of the ability to search jobs that could require less commitment than contracted full-time/part-time work, or be one-time opportunities that can be pursued as and when you feel up to them. Lots of social media tasks on there!
    • Look for the Disability Confident accreditation: organisations who have been certified in this way have made commitments and taken action to ensure their recruitment is as inclusive as possible. If you see a Disability Confident badge on their website, they’re likely to be more in-the-know about chronic ill-health and the impact this can have on working practice.
    • Approach specific charities: if you live with a specific chronic illness, charities dedicated to the cause are often keen to recruit workers with lived experience of that condition or a personal connection to the organisation’s ethos. There’s no harm at all in popping over a friendly email with your CV, expressing an interest in future opportunities.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi thanks for all your help. I have spent the entire day trawling through the opportunities work wise listed above and have come to the conclusion I am clearly not educated or skilled to the level required for the jobs advertised and sending a cv would be embarrassing to say the least.                                                                                                                                          I have been in contact with bladder and bowel and they have sent me a useful card and radar key and have offered to have my prescriptions sent directly to me (once I purchase the pre pay). 
    Thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • thespiceman
    edited February 2019
    Hello @marmitesmum Thank you for replying and letting us know the situation.

Always happy to help.

I would like to suggest why not look on line for courses. Something you can do on line. Education does not stop at school.

Open University has lots of courses. All done at home not  needing travel at all. In fact quite a lot of courses I have done in the past done at home.

Sending papers by Email.  By phone.

This SKYPE is it called. Not familiar with IT. Believe it is a system face to face on the screen..  Is an another suggestion

You need to go through the web and find what you want and need.

Something to consider also make a plan on a piece of paper what you want to do with some goals and aims.

Small steps.  I use a diary.  Review every time. Life is a journey.

Hope that helps we are here to listen, be a friend, share and care.

Even if it is to bounce ideas, suggestions off. Need to of load always happy to be supportive.

Keep in touch your part of this community now.

We are going no where.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi thank you. I by no means nor need to go down the Open University route as I have indeed furthered my education both at college and university. The skills required for many of the jobs advertised were mainly marketing and IT related to which I have no knowledge or experience. I will not allow myself to go into further debt (I already owe 3 years) on the hope I could gain employment (without experience which many were asking for). 
    I am at the stage of my life where I have many other problems and until that has passed I am in no frame of mind to even embark on such a journey. Once passed this I will venture into working from home doing something that I have had in mind providing my poor husband will raise enough to fund me. 
    I have requested to be removed from this site as it is of no use to me as I do not qualify for help due to my husbands earnings  Thank you for the advice given.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.