Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Carers Allowance/Pension Lump Sum

ConfiteConfite Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in Carer's allowance
I am in receipt of Carers Allowance for looking after my husband.  I am approaching my 60th birthday and have a private pension that is due to mature.  There is a lump sum of £11000 approx, which I am considering taking about 8500 this tax year and the remainder next tax year.  I do not have any other income besides the Carers Allowance.  If I add the Carers Allowance that I have had this year (only since July) and the £8500 of the lump sum. That should keep me below the tax threshold.  But would it affect the Carers Allowance for this financial year/next

Replies

• Antonia_ScopeAntonia_Scope Member Posts: 1,783 Pioneering
    Hi @Confite

Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing this with us. Some of members will be able to answer this question for you.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 19,440 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I think you need to get further advice regarding this as even though my benefit knowledge is very good i'm unsure of the answer to this because it's a tax question, rather than a benefits question.

For the pension lump sum, does your husband receive any means tested benefits?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • ConfiteConfite Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi 
    my husband receives attendance allowance high rate, state pension and a small private pension, no their income
Sign in or join us to comment.