Severe disability premium — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Severe disability premium

Bull_Mc_Cabe1
Bull_Mc_Cabe1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
What is the best way to check if you are getting severe disability premium i am disabled i get enhanced rate Pip Contribution ESA Housing benefit which goes up and down as my wife works 16 hours a week part time she gets working tax credit does not claim carers allowance
but she is my main carer.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    What is the best way to check if you are getting severe disability premium i am disabled i get enhanced rate Pip Contribution ESA Housing benefit which goes up and down as my wife works 16 hours a week part time she gets working tax credit does not claim carers allowance
    but she is my main carer.
    Hi,

The severe disability premium isn't paid when claiming contributions based ESA, it's only paid on top of Income related. You must also live alone or be classed as living alone. Unfortunately, because your wife works 16 hours per week then you won't be entitled to any income related top up on your ESA, so the SDP doesn't apply to you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Bull_Mc_Cabe1
    Bull_Mc_Cabe1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Ok thank you for your reply thought someone would know the answer
  • poppy123456
    Ok thank you for your reply thought someone would know the answer
    I did answer your question. Based on your circumstances, living with your wife and she works then you won't be entitled to the severe disability premium.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.