Appeals — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeals

Options
Francie
Francie Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I had a very stressful appeal ( pip) this week , Scottish law. I thought l would hear at the end but they said they had a lot to discuss and would post out a decision. Do you think this is a good sign or not?
Also , my sister went with me for support , not a representative , but was not allowed to sit beside me or speak. She was behind me in the same room but l couldn't see her. Is this the way it should happen ? Really stressed by their  attitude and the whole process. Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Sometimes it's not possible for them to make a decision on the day but it doesn't mean anything at all. People have been successful even when a decision hasn't been made on the day. Usually if this happens they write to you within a few days.

During a Tribunal hearing they want to hear from you in your own words how your conditions affect you. So, no it's not unusual for them not to let your sister speak.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Francie
    Options
    Thank you Poppy. I just think it was a waste of her time coming if l couldn't even see her. I wanted her beside me to hold my hand  , and l am over 60!! I would advise everyone who can to take a representative with them. I didn't , laughingly thinking that telling  the truth  would be enough! I was INTERROGATED relentlessly and my sister and l were both in tears. Don't anyone make my mistake. Get a representative. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Having a representative doesn't mean they will be able to speak for you. The claimant still has to speak for theirself. The only time a person can speak on behalf of a claimant is if they have an appointee.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • michfinch
    michfinch Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Options
    I was advised at my Appeal to get a Lawyer.
  • Francie
    Options
    michfinch , good advice. But you can't appeal an appeal , can you?
  • Francie
    Options
    Poppy ty! That makes me feel a bit better??
  • michfinch
    Options
    Yes, I’m appealing an Appeal both ESA and PIP.
  • michfinch
    Options
    Ensure ensure the evidence has been presented correctly. If you’ve been unwell it may be you’ve forgotten something, as happens with Mental Health, so ensure you keep in touch with the Clerk to the Court etc etc. 
  • michfinch
    Options
    Advise your Dr if there is stress with it all, make sure everything is noted.
  • michfinch
    Options
    I have to keep a Diary because of Epilepsy and Memory Loss, suggest you do too.
  • Francie
    Options
    Thank you michfinch , and good luck ???
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You can't appeal a Tribunal decision unless there's an error in law. Once you receive the decision from the Tribunal, if you're not happy you have 28 days to request the statement of reasons. Once you have this you need to find someone who can take a look to see if there's an error in law, if there's not then you won't be able to appeal.
  • michfinch
    Options
    I am Appealing both PIP and ESA. The Judge at the ESA tribunal muttered “she should be on PIP”, but PIP don’t understand Epilepsy so, with the help of my media contacts, we’re trying to find out why they don’t.
  • michfinch
    Options
    And, yes, plenty of errors from their side!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.