if a move to a new address in the same town will trigger a move to universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

if a move to a new address in the same town will trigger a move to universal credit

Options
alldred
alldred Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Universal Credit (UC)
does anyone know if a move to a new address in the same town will trigger a move to universal credit we are all disabled on esa in support group ?

Comments

• pink_princess
    pink_princess Community member Posts: 181 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hi @alldred

I saw that no one had replied so I wanted to say welcome to the community.

I’m not sure sure as I personally don’t have any experience with benefits I’m sure other members will have a answer there are many different types of benefit and not everyone will be on the same one. I think you would need to inform them of your change on address there is more general information about benefits on here however I would say as this is such a specific question ask a benefits adviser or you can also ring the scope helpline if your still struggling to find a answer.

hope this helps
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @alldred welcome to the community! I am unsure however our community members may know and will be in contact with you soon, let us know if we can help you with anything else :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Adam_Alumni
    Adam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 164 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @alldred

You will need to inform the authorities to your change of address.  It is my understanding that moving will not trigger a change unless you are moving to a new area in a different local  As you are staying in the same town UC will not be triggered.

I hope this helps you
  • AFB
    AFB Community member Posts: 64 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @alldred

A few months ago I moved areas in the same town i lived in and my ESA claim was closed down and was advised to claim UC which they transfer ESA claim to UC claim so ypu dont have to go through assesment again as I was ESA. So they should automatically award you higher rate LWCRA Element gor UC claim and tell them that ypu were ESA Support group. It sometimes can take time for them to transfer the claim but keep phoning and monitor claim surely it would be done.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    AFB said:
    Hi @alldred

A few months ago I moved areas in the same town i lived in and my ESA claim was closed down and was advised to claim UC which they transfer ESA claim to UC claim so ypu dont have to go through assesment again as I was ESA. So they should automatically award you higher rate LWCRA Element gor UC claim and tell them that ypu were ESA Support group. It sometimes can take time for them to transfer the claim but keep phoning and monitor claim surely it would be done.
    When you moved, if you moved to the same local council then this wouldn't have prompted a move to UC. It's only if you move to a different local council that you need to claim UC but only if you need to claim for help with the rent.

Now the rules for some are slightly different. If a claimant claims the SDP then they won't be able to claim for UC and they'll remain on their existing benefits, regardless of what area they move to. At least until the transitional support protection starts on UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AFB
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456
    Yep, you are correct poppy. Only if need to claim rent then you need claim UC in same local area. Thanks correcting me.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    AFB said:
    Hi @poppy123456
    Yep, you are correct poppy. Only if need to claim rent then you need claim UC in same local area. Thanks correcting me.
    Not exactly correct. Even if you need to claim for help with your rent. If you move to the same local council then this doesn't prompt a move to UC. You can stay on the same benefits you're already on...ESA/housing benefit.

When you moved house if you stayed with the same local council then you were advised incorrectly. You didn't need to transfer to UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • AFB
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456
    So I was advised incorrectly. I was told that I need to claim UC even though i had moved address in same area with same council. Is the anyway I can ask them look at how this happened.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Unfortunately yes you were advised incorrectly. Sadly, as you've now claimed UC then you can't go back and claim ESA.
  • sandraM
    sandraM Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    I moved house last year , same council and I never moved to UC.  Something I was worried about.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.