Mobility scooters — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility scooters

Options
sporty
sporty Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I am a new user of mobility scooters having had a stroke. I am currently hiring a Pride Colt Pursuit and would like to buy my own scooter but the market in this country appears to be extremely backward in producing practical but modern scooters. Can ANYONE give me the answer to the most important, simple question “why do 90% of mobility scooters have a ridiculously low ground clearance”? This limits the user to dropped kerbs only (and we all know these are limited!) and the added problem of hitting every bump and raised surface both on and off the road. This wrecks the undercarriage and gives a very rough ride. The very few scooters available with a higher clearance seem to be for 23 stone + people with hugh batteries and greater overall dimensions. The manufacturers throughout the country just say “that’s just the way it is”! Can’t someone out there invent something that gives a decent ground clearance with suspension that doesn’t make us all look as bad as we already feel?!!

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @sporty, hello and  welcome, the best small off road types scooter had 2.5 inch ground clearance, then  after 18 months I upgraded to a scooter with 6 inch clearance at the foot plate this allowed me to go more off road. A good supplier of used mobility scooters is mobility Giant few on their site.
  • sporty
    Options
    Thank you Wilko but 2.5 inch clearance is terrible! This is my complaint, they should ALL have at least 5 inch clearance. Yes, I know Mobility Giant very well and if you have a 6 inch clearance then you must have one of the big scooters which I mentioned.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes yes I had a Kymco Maxer lovely scooter easy to maintain and keep clean, my current one a Pride colt Executive a little lower but wider wheels better suspension and 500 watts more power. Still miss my Maxer highly recommend it I had a bronze coloured model. Hope you find what you are looking for my boot scooter has no suspension and comes apart for putting into boot been to Cornwall three times and on the train to St ives cobble streets not much fun or going in a country park but got round ok 2.5 inches ground clearance. 
  • sporty
    Options
    Thank you Wilko

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.