Confused ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confused ESA

Options
Georgia63
Georgia63 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hello I was on incapacity benefit then in 2013 I was moved to ESA work focus group. Which I think was wrong.Anyway last year  I had a assessment and they put me in ESA support group they said they will probably call me back this year for another assessment. Does that mean they will take me off support group. My health has got worse. I have fibromyalgia and Lupus, osteopenia and thyroid. I also have depression which I have medications for. I get low DLA for care and mobility as my illness has got worse do i apply for pip or just keep DLA in case I don't get it. I here lot of people lose DLA if they try for pip. Sorry  I'm very confused. Thank you very much 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you're re-assessed for ESA again then you'll need evidence to support your claim. They can re-assess you anytime from 3 months. No one can tell you whether you'll remain in the support group. You'll have to wait until the decision is made.

It's your decision whether or not you remain on DLA for now until you're invited to apply for PIP or whether you claim PIP now. Remember that PIP and DLA are completely different. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors not about a diagnosis.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • miracle
    miracle Community member Posts: 22 Connected
    Options
    Hi, @Geogia 63, I endorse everything that poppy123456 has said. But to add to this, if you get the re-assessment booklet ESA50, do not fill it in straight away. I think that they give you over a month, to return it. Instead, download and print off the ESA50 form, from the government website, and use this as a dummy run. If you make a mistake, or want to add something, or change something, then you can do this, on your downloaded, printed, ESA50 form. But i stress, do not rush it. If you rush it, you might not put down, all the important information, that you need. Just take your time, put it down, and go back to it later. When you are not filling in the form, something might just come into your mind, that you need to add. All the best.....Miracle.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,006 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The returning of the ESA50/UC50 form is extremely strict. It has to be returned by the date stated on the letter, which is usually a month. If it's not received by that date then you'll most likely be found fit for work for failing to return the forms. There's no extra time given for this form.

The only exception to this rule is if you're claiming for mental health and the DWP have this noted on the computer these rules are more relaxed and you may not be found fit for work if the form isn't returned.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There is nothing to stop you downloading ESA50/UC50 at any time just to make a start and practice for when the time comes
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Benistmonk
    Benistmonk Community member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Options
    Even better still, you can fill in the ESA/50 online. Alter it any way you like before printing it off.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.