Does your ESA stop if you lose your PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Does your ESA stop if you lose your PIP?

Options
Corvus92
Corvus92 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone! I just found this site and joined because today I found out that they've stopped my PIP after an assessment I had. I'm planning on appealing and taking it to a tribunal if need be, but I'm really worried because I don't know what this means for my ESA. I tried googling it and some said that it doesn't affect it but some say that if your PIP stops, so does your ESA. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Corvus92 and welcome

ESA is not affected by PIP, they are different benefits
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2019
    Options
    As ive mentioned before I know the DWP do cross benefits and have done for many years, I would say your failed PIP should not jeopardise your ESA at the moment.

There are plans in the future in joining the to processes together. See article below. 
    I know from experience they use one benefit to cross check them as they have done with me.

The most striking announcement by Rudd was that her Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) plans to test if it can assess eligibility for both the extra costs benefit personal independence payment (PIP) and the out-of-work disability benefit employment and support allowance (ESA) through a single face-to-face assessment, at least for those disabled people who apply for the two benefits at the same time.

It plans to do this through an “integrated” service, supported by a new digital system, which will deal with both PIP and ESA (and universal credit) assessments, and will begin to go live from 2021.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ESA doesn't stop no BUT losing a PIP award can affect the amount of ESA you could be entitled to. If you were claiming the severe disability premium in with your ESA then this will stop.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.