Has the disability premium disappeared — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has the disability premium disappeared

kah22
kah22 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
Hi, I’m 70 plus and in receipt of DLA High Care, Low Mobility

I’ve just received two benefit letters. The first covering the DLA which is fine.  The second I find difficult to understand

The letter gives details of my benefits, State Pension £129.20, a pre 97 additional state pension and a post 97additional state pension £24.97. Total £156.22 (what are these pre and post figures for?)

What  is confusing me is that in previous years I used to receive a Disability Premium, and a Severe Disability Premium. With all the changes in the benefits have these premiums disappeared or should I expect another letter outlining the premiums

Since all the changes in the welfare system I’m getting it difficult to keep up

Kevin

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,909 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I don't know what the pre and post amounts are for i'm afraid.

The only disability premium available to those of state pension age is the Severe disability premium. This is payable if no one claims carers allowance for looking after you and you live alone or classed as living alone, with an award of either DLA mid/high rate care DLA or PIP daily living. It's payable through pension credit and not state pension.

I'd advise a visit to your local CAB for a full benefits check.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kah22
    kah22 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Poppy thanks for your reply.

CAB seems the sensible way to go. I do live alone and no one claims care allowance for me

Before I contact CAB I think that I’ll get a bank statement and check exactly what’s been going in and out.  The 1st Feb till now should give me that information

Kevin 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.