Mental health and PIP entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mental health and PIP entitlement

CJ61
CJ61 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
Hi I joined here as I wondered if the community included people with mental health problems with regard to depression, anxiety, PTSD etc and Im so pleased to see that it does. I have an upcoming home visit to re assess my PIPS entitlement and I wondered if there were any help or advice available. It has taken me nearly 3 months of hell to the point of ending it all to actually get a home visit. I have never felt so unwell and I am living literally with terror of the upcoming visit. Im at the end of my tether. Anyway I just wanted to say "Hello" to everybody. x

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CJ61 and welcome

Thanks for joining our community. We have many members with MH problems who I am sure will be able to give you some advice.
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @CJ61, you're very welcome to our community and I'm sorry to hear you're dreading your home visit, it can be quite an ordeal to get to this point. If you don't mind me asking, how soon is it and will you have someone that you trust to support you through the experience?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CJ61
    Welcome to the community, you are very welcome here. Lots of our members have faced mental health challenges and we understand.
    PIP can be such a stressful experience for so many and though I am pleased you have managed to get a home visit, it's awful to hear that you have faced such a struggle.
    If you need extra support talking through the feelings of 'ending it all' you can speak to someone who is trained to help at the Samaritans on 116 123.

Do you have anyone to be with you during the assessment?
    The Citizens Advice Bureau has information here about preparing for a PIP assessment that might help, we also have a video that could be useful. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5QV_SnkJs

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @CJ61   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, help and advise new members who join the forum.

I have mental health issues mainly anxiety and depression also a disability.

Sorry what you are going through, you have come to the right place for information.

I think what is important for your mental health wellbeing is to find what is right for you.

I use mental health charities used this one last time if this helps you.

https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk.

Offer floating support and outreach workers. Guidance and advice with your mental health.  Using coping methods and strategies.

Welfare and benefit support also signposting.

We are here as a community to support you and help, advise.

Always some one here to listen and be a friend.

Please ask any questions. Some one will know be happy to help.

Have a look at our website on PIP might be useful.

Wish you all the best for a successful outcome.  At your assessment.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • CJ61
    Thank you so very much for all your suggestions and kind words. I shall follow all the advice given. To answer the questions. Unfortunately I do not have anybody who can be with me. I have lived my entire life in a viscous circle. Ive been abused in one way or another all my life starting with my parents and then onwards in life to 2 husbands and finally somebody I considered a friend. It has ultimately led me to remove myself completely from society and people. It feels safer this way. I have my cat but I know I will live out my life alone. Im very lonely but cant be with people so its a lose lose situation for me. 
    My appointment is next Thursday 21st between 9 and 11. To be honest Im not usually even out of my bed as I spend up to 15hrs a day in it. Im finding it more and more difficult to bother at all and indeed if not for the cat I wouldn't. I have spoken to the Samaritans more than once and they were lovely to me but obviously they cant give me a reason to carry on. Im a coard and afraid of pain and have researched but been unable to find the pain free sure way to leave. I sound pathetic even to myself. many years ago I dabbled with facebook but very quickly found everybody living fabulous happy busy lives too hard to deal with. I have little to no experience of social networking so I hope Im doing this properly. I don't have people in my house so even having the assessor here is going to traumatic by itself. half of me is thinking why put myself through it. let them keep the money and it gives me another reason to throw the towel in. PIPS allows me to keep a car on the road and although I only leave the house 2 or 3 times a month and then only very locally, without it I will be truly stuck. Once when it was broken I was indoors for 14wks and spoke to a human being 3 times for home delivery. I don't know what more they want from me. I have suspicions  that they are trying to push me over the edge so they have one less person to pay benefit to. They are getting closer to achieving that. Sorry to ramble. It just kinda all came out. x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @CJ61   Thank you for sharing with the community.

Sorry to hear that your experiencing so many issues and problems. This what the forum is for. We are here to listen be supportive.

I know that sometimes by accessing some guidance and support like the mental health charity I suggested.  Can all but help. Just give it a try.  Choice is yours.

I once had all the doors closed with my own issues and problems.

Much documented on here.

Used the charity helped and got a lot of support.  Especially with DWP and my other health issues.

Used a lot of the techniques they offer and advise on.

What also helped was the sudden realisation you not alone on this forum is another thing which has benefited my self enormously.

Plenty of members being friendly, supportive and listening to you.

Always some one here to share and care.

If you need to talk am always here. Be glad to help and be a friend if you wish to have some one to listen to.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @CJ61, how are you doing today? We never did find out how your appointment went. :smile: I hope it wasn't as difficult as you might have anticipated.
    Please let us know if you need any support from us and feel free to pop back in, even if it's just to tell us about your cat if you like!

Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • CJ61
    Hello. It was awful. It took me ages to get over it especially having somebody in my house. The DWP took nearly 7 weeks to decide to stop my daily allowance but award me basic mobility which Ive never had before.  This of course affected my EESA as well so my income as a consequence has been halved. More worry and less quality of life. Considering I am less well than I have ever been and my medication has been increased this makes no sense to me or my Doctor. Somedays it really is only my cat that makes me bother to keep going which I know sounds really weak but I just cant see much point to anything. Everything is a constant battle for what? I have just put a Mandatory reconsideration letter in and will have to wait. If I need to go to appeal I'm not sure I'll be able to do that properly as have nobody to help me. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  The charities thespiceman kindly suggested don't operate in my area. Thank you. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    edited May 2019
    Hi @CJ61! Thank you for getting back to us and I'm sorry to hear how rough the assessment was on you. Unfortunately a large percentage of MRs do get rejected, so you may need to go to tribunal but if it comes to that, we have lots of advice on these and our members are very knowledgeable about the process and can help guide you through this too. Do you have a CAB local to you?

What's your cat called? I'm glad that they bring you some comfort and give you a reason to keep going.

I know that you've spoken to them before, but if you do feel as if things are getting too much, please remember to give Samaritans a call (116 123).

Keep in touch and let us know when you hear back.

Best wishes,
    Adrian
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Adrian_Scope
    As an aside @CJ61, I keep thinking about seeing other people's lives on Facebook. I know I look on Facebook and feel as if everyone's leading better lives than I am, but it's important to remember that social media's only a snapshot of someone's life and one that's very often cultivated and fabricated.

Do you have any hobbies and interests that you're able to still do?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Ahh sorry to hear that!  *hugs* I'm not surprised you are feeling the way you do, just know that you aren't on your own, there are a lot of nice people with good advice on here as well.

I've just had my assessment report back and it looks like the assessor has dropped my award to standard for both, I was enhanced before not only that, he has told a lot of lies in the report and has tried to sweep my mental health problems to one side, claims there was no evidence but when you look at the evidence page, there is.. not only that,  how on earth would he have had the time to read my evidence when it was an home assessment lol..

In regards to help, do you have Welfare Rights, CAB or any other advice centre in your area that could help you? We have a number of places where I live but I know not everyone is lucky enough to have so much advice.
  • thespiceman

Hello @CJ61 How are you?  Sorry to hear you are going through a lot.

I know it is a difficult time .

Understand as a community, we need to be supportive.

I do think it is a good idea to see what is available in your area. I know suggested good links. Do realise some areas are not covered.

I found this out my self many times. When given information, guidance by some one.

It is just sitting down with a pen and paper. Useful time to find what any support and information relevant to your own health needs.

Going on line.  Searching and finding.  I know a bit of time but never know what you might find out .

Make notes on what sort of support, advice you require. Keep a folder of information, advice and guidance for your own health needs.

Magazines like WHICH. Often has many useful guides on day to day living Free. Including a lot on certain aspects of life.

Benefits, welfare and lots more. Easy to understand.

CAB and contacting them can be a useful start.

Another suggestion is the well being services of your local county councils.

My county council issues here .  In Co.. Durham  a news letter. Plus has lots of additional information, guidance, advice on a range of issues.

Including what is available to do with wellbeing, health and a number of other important factors effecting my area.

Things that are happening. Local groups and much more.

Also they issue a booklet with services they provide from the County Council.

Hope that might help a little.

Another one is to look at the Church Organisations. Salvation Army and other organisations often have their own welfare, support network.

Nothing wrong in asking.  Some places do .

I am sure they could give you any support or advice or some guidance if you need it.

Wish you well.  Happy to listen anytime.

Pleasure to talk to you.

Take care .

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.