Bed Table for People with Limited Mobility — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bed Table for People with Limited Mobility

lkenny105
lkenny105 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
Hi all! Some of you may have seen my previous discussions where I asked for feedback on models of the bed table for people who have limited mobility and must be seated most of the time which I have designed for my Design and Technology GCSE- thank you to those who contributed, your feedback was very valuable. I now have made my final design as you can see in the photos below. The table is adjustable in height, has a lamp, and an acrylic layer to display photos underneath/ make it easily cleanable. The table is light and can be folded down for easy transportation. If such a product could be relevant to you, would you mind taking a look at the photos and sending me feedback on it? This could include comments (positive + negative) on the appearance, usefulness, practicality etc., and what I could do to improve. Please be honest as all feedback will be really beneficial. Thank you for your time!

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @lkenny105

Here we go.

You need a unqiue selling point for you design.

I suggest something like the Max table!

Think of other ways it can be used, like sitting on a chair or in a car.

Impressed that it can be personalised, with pics, it could also include prompts or reminders (medication).

You could add a modest trim round the edge, to prevent things falling off.

Lets get techy, could you include USB port and seating for iPad.

Could you include something like baby alarm system, so the user can be in contact with people, in other rooms.

Think the light is rather over engineered and could be replaced, with high spec light at the back of the Max!

I would take more pics of the user, eating a meal, doing some sort of hobby (jigsaw) and writing a letter. To highlight how flexible the Max can be.

You have worked very hard on this project and you deserve success.

I hope you find my comments helpful.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lkenny105
    I like that you can put photos in, such a nice touch but I loved @atlas46 suggestion of adding a medication prompt! I also agree with them about a trim to stop things falling or rolling off the table!

I like that it folds flat, I would like to know how much it weighs? That would be a major factor for me, can I lift it onto my bed myself?

I would show someone using a laptop on it too. Disabled people who need to spend lots of time in bed can still be working or using the internet.

Good luck!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I struggle with poor grip, maybe a handle could be beneficial? Loving it so far!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • lkenny105
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @lkenny105

Here we go.

You need a unqiue selling point for you design.

I suggest something like the Max table!

Think of other ways it can be used, like sitting on a chair or in a car.

Impressed that it can be personalised, with pics, it could also include prompts or reminders (medication).

You could add a modest trim round the edge, to prevent things falling off.

Lets get techy, could you include USB port and seating for iPad.

Could you include something like baby alarm system, so the user can be in contact with people, in other rooms.

Think the light is rather over engineered and could be replaced, with high spec light at the back of the Max!

I would take more pics of the user, eating a meal, doing some sort of hobby (jigsaw) and writing a letter. To highlight how flexible the Max can be.

You have worked very hard on this project and you deserve success.

I hope you find my comments helpful.
    Thank you so much @atlas46 , you have given me some really helpful ideas to consider and I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time!
  • lkenny105
    Ami2301 said:
    I struggle with poor grip, maybe a handle could be beneficial? Loving it so far!
    That's a great idea! Thank you for your contribution, it is much appreciated. 
  • lkenny105
    Sam_Scope said:
    Hi @lkenny105
    I like that you can put photos in, such a nice touch but I loved @atlas46 suggestion of adding a medication prompt! I also agree with them about a trim to stop things falling or rolling off the table!

I like that it folds flat, I would like to know how much it weighs? That would be a major factor for me, can I lift it onto my bed myself?

I would show someone using a laptop on it too. Disabled people who need to spend lots of time in bed can still be working or using the internet.

Good luck!
    I do not know the exact weight but it is definitely no more than 3/4kg. My client, who is 96, was able to easily pick it up. Thank you so much for your ideas! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.