I'm too young to be classed unfit for work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm too young to be classed unfit for work

Options
salsybar46
salsybar46 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2019 in Work and employment
Hello all

Just been told I'm unfit for work , I was a carer and loved every inch of my work it meaned the world to me 
To be told that I have to have mobility aids and  aids put in my home to help me .
I have had depression for years because ofor my pain . The doctors kept saying it was fibromyalgia,  I have 21 discs naffed in my back . Arthritis in my hands , knees, hips 
I can not accept it I'm too youngood to be like this . I feel a failure 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @salsybar46 welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you feel this way. I was deemed unfit to work at the age of 22 and it made me depressed. Its took me a long time to accept that I won't be able to do the jobs I loved doing but that isn't going to stop me from finding something I can do.

It will take time to accept this, do you currently have any support around you since being told this?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • robinhood8
    robinhood8 Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Options
    I hello you're not alone I was senior support worker I have
    Arthritis multiple I had to give up work and I love my job and never Hardly off sick l started having pain in 2013
    I had given up nov2019
  • salsybar46
    Options
    22 year old is so young , bless you . I had pains from after having my 5 children at age 27 and thought nothing of it . They said I have hypermobility too . I just thought been really flexible and into gymnastics and been very active was normal  . I have been offered support in the past and turned it down has I just can not accept it . But now I need the help I think it's to do with pride... I look at arthritis has an elderly thing ???
  • mercedesbd
    mercedesbd Community member Posts: 109 Courageous
    Options
    I’m 17 and been unfit for work for bowel problems and fybromyalgia. I struggle so much I have to have a raiser that lifts me out of bed and a bath raiser that lifts me up and down.. it’s horrible I have to use crutches to walk but feel like I need a wheel chair. Hope your okay 
  • salsybar46
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2016 and fibromyalgia in 2017 . I have to get my  adult kids to shove me up the bed because I can not otherwise . So so young ages to have such chronic crippling conditions . I live in a flat and it's 15 steps to the other floor . My front door and utility room is on the first floor , living room, kitchen and bathroom . Then 3 bedrooms on 3rd floor. I'm so sorry to hear so young ???

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.