Abbreviations primer — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Abbreviations primer

Fitznspatz
Fitznspatz Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
I’m quite new to this forum and have been greatly informed reading others’ posts. However the proliferation of abbreviations sometimes dumbfounds me. Might it be possible for moderators to insert the full phrase when posters use abbreviations or, instead, provide a guide explaining what the initials stand for with a further explanation if necessary. For example these few have been culled from just the top few posts on the PIP, DLA and AA (see what I mean!) list
CM
HCP
HP
MR
OPD
DWP
DM
ROM
F2F
FND
CFS
IO
HCPC
NMC

I don’t need any of these explaining now, I just need to know them when I am reading what others have written so I do not stumble around trying to make sense of what’s said.

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Iv said thus so many times.
    It takes for ever to work out what some people are saying.
    And they STILL  do it. 
    Unless they make sence when posting whats the point in posting?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not the abbreviations i have issues with. It's the long posts without paragraphs and punctuation that i have problems reading.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Fitznspatz
    I agree that spelling, punctuation and grammar is sometimes shockingly bad but I can almost always stumble on but with abbreviations my understanding can grind to a halt.

I would be interested to hear from people who are or were assessors whether a pithily written PIP form with plenty of pertinent detail increases the chances of an award compared to statements full of inconsequential ramblings.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @Fitznspatz Pleased to meet you.

I agree with your post. I find myself getting confused so many times about abbreviations and lots of the posts too muddled.

Since joining used to do long posts in all one block, yet got a lot of critical comments. Some snide some not very pleasant .

Realised do have a lot to say but even so do try and space every thing out.

Make what I have clear.

Not easy some days I admit.  Have time for every one on here just be if you can please make it simple. So I can help and understand what you are all saying.

As a community champion I know many emotive stories and there are many experiences wished to share from community members.

If I can and want to help you all but make it if you can a little clearer.

Am getting confused and muddled .  Have health issues so my memory and lots of confusion do know have those days.

Remember the more precise and straight to the point, we can get to you straight away and be supportive.

Offer much help and advice as you wish to.  Guidance and information.

Always happy to be a friend and ready to listen any time. That is me the motto, mantra I do as part of the role.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Fitznspatz
    @ilocecats, I think your post is about the most helpful thing I have read on this forum. Hats off.

@thespiceman, thank you too for your thoughtful and insightful comments. Good luck to you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.