Should I be paying council tax while on ESA and PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I be paying council tax while on ESA and PIP?

julietinblack
julietinblack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you.

I was just wondering should i be paying counsel tax on ESA and high rate mobility middle rate pip..!?!

I have lived in Blackpool for 4 years and have paid a reduction but  people keep telling me i shouldn't be paying anything, i didn't when living in other parts of the country.

Thanks for reading.

Juliet

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @julietinblack.  Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

I am one of the team of community champions who guide, advise and help new members who join the forum.

In response to your benefit enquiry. I am unsure of an answer. There will be members of our community or a member of our team be able to advise.

Have you spoken to CAB they may be to advise on your benefit query.

They have expertise and knowledge.

Have a look at our website for further information if that helps you.

We are friendly.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Local councils have their own rules for council tax reduction. If you're the only adult living in your house then you'll receive a 25% discount. It's not unusual to have to pay a small contribution towards your council tax because most people do. I receive ESA and PIP and i have to pay £11 per month. Those days where you used to receive 100% reduction when claiming a means tested benefit mostly don't exist anymore.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • julietinblack
    julietinblack Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you Poppy. Juliet
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    It does vary from Council to Council but in addition to the living alone reduction of 25% there are usually some discounts for disability and/or low income. Most benefits are not advertised and staff are usually under orders not to volunteer information or risk losing their jobs but they must answer with a yes or no if you ask about specific benefits (by law).

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.